CHECKBOX FROZEN ON "CHOOSE COMPONENTS" PAGE OF INTERFACE INSTALLATION STEPS :Acer Aspire TC-895-EB11

Thrip
Thrip Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited September 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

CHECKBOX FROZEN ON "CHOOSE COMPONENTS" OF INTERFACE INSTALLATION STEPS :

With DAWs installed into my Acer Aspire TC-895-EB11 desktop I eventually began getting interested in an "interface". I shopped around and it was the Audient iD14 MkII (with the possibility of a later 8 channels expansion) that I eventually chose.

I explained to the Audient company that I was installing the interface into an, OFFLINE PC/DAW audio studio. -So they emailed me an attachment of two files, the driver's installer and the firmware update.

I was able to drag & drop these two files onto a USB thumb drive, -and then onto the OFFLINE Acer Aspire TC-895-EB11's desktop.

The trouble is, when I open the Audient iD14 MkII's driver's installation file and start going through its multiple-step installation procedure and come to the [iD] "Choose Components Page" I find that there is a frozen checkbox on one of the menu's selections on this driver's installation page.

The [iD] Choose Components page has two selection or options on its menu; Audient USB Audio Driver v5.0.2 -and  iD Control Application. -There you are instructed to make a selection and "check" (or click on ) its checkbox.

( I assume that Audient USB Audio Driver v5.0.2 is the option that I should choose, -I ran this by Audient's Help Desk and nothing contrary was said.)

When you first arrive to this "Choose Components" page, (& I have a few times now), the default settings that you always find have "Audient USB Audio Driver v5.0.2" highlighted with blue but its checkbox is unchecked (although there is a faint light grey check in its checkbox). -The "iD Control Application" selection does have a real dark "check" already in its checkbox, but it is not highlighted with blue. When fiddling around with it I found that when you could take the "check" out of the "iD Control Application's" checkbox there wasn't any faint light grey check marks left as found with the "Audient USB Audio Driver v5.0.2's" checkbox.

The "Audient USB Audio Driver v5.0.2's" checkbox with the faint light grey check in it is FROZEN. -So I cannot make this selection. -It will not take a check in as can be done with the other option.

It's like it is "locked" in some way......

If I cannot check the Audient USB Audio Driver v5.0.2 checkbox, (because a light grey check is already there and) is frozen out, I cannot complete this Interface's driver's installation.

This option's checkbox being inoperative must mean something.....

-Surely there would be a way to get this install page operating ?

What do you advise ?

( edited the title to add the model name )

Answers

• Thrip
    Thrip Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon

IT'S CALLED A DISABLED ELEMENT

The frozen checkbox on "Choose Components" (with the light grey check in it) in the beginning stages of my new interface driver's installation is likely called a, "disabled element". Disabled elements are unusable, unclickable and are usually rendered in grey.

I found this out from googling re "frozen checkbox" etc. -I seen that there was quite a bit there about, -how to freeze checkboxes or render them inoperative, (-for whatever reason-) -re:

How do I disable a checkbox? 

The disabled property sets or returns whether a checkbox should be disabled, or not

A disabled element is unusable and unclickable. Disabled elements are usually rendered in gray by default in browsers. 

This property reflects the HTML disabled attribute.

-I have to believe that if people can purposely disable checkboxes by changing settings etc., that there must also be a way to re-activate frozen checkboxes that have become (by whatever means), disabled elements.

-Does anyone know how to re-enable a frozen checkbox ?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,424 Trailblazer

You really need to contact the software developer to get them to work you through it...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.