Acer 315-22-40 Ram memory

Frsnkly
Frsnkly Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi. I've recently upgraded, or trying to upgrade both my acer laptops. The 315-22-40 being 18 months old and the other 315-22-? is around 4 yrs old. The 315-22-40 has a AMD-A4 cpu, and the older an intel pentium silver. each has the same ram capacity of 20gbs. i purchaed (new) two 16 gbs ddr ram chips from crucial. they both work fine in the older pentium laptop but in the AMD it won't boot at all (blanc screen). I checked the memory the AMD and it says PC4. Is there a difference, and is this why it won't start? I've read up that the female ram slots are different but also been told they should work. Again i have tried both chips in the older Acer and both fire up and register? Any ideas welcome

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer

Do the Crucial Scan and find out exactly what the A4 A3165-22-40 specs are for its ram? As I'm sure that the A315-22-40 AMD A4 or the other A315-22? does not take a total of 20GB max ram and its only 12GB total. Look at this Crucial Scan of an  Acer Aspire A315-22 RAM Upgrade scan and that states a max capacity of 12GB total as this laptop has OEM 4GB fixed soldered on ram and an upgrade of 1x Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM DDR4-2666 • CL=19 • NON-ECC • SODIMM • 260-pin • 1.2V • 2Rx8/1Rx8/1Rx16 • PC4-21300 into this laptops 1x ram slot only.

• Frsnkly
    Frsnkly Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks Steven. I'll look into this tomorrow and let you know. The older 315 accepted the chip and registers 20gbs of DDR4 ram. 4 internal and the 16 gbs chip and a very noticable difference in speed and stability, very pleased me! i can only think it's the AMD chip set that's the problem. I have a 4 gbs DDR chip knocking around so i might try that in the 315-40 and see if it registers 8 gbs . Gotta be said though since the 315-40 doesn't seem to match the Pentium silver and its only half the cpu speed, running identical software? bit strange?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,366 Trailblazer

As you can see Steven has made the assumption that at least one of your laptops is a member of the A315-22 model series. They are AMD A4, A6 or A9 based with 1866MHz memory and support a 4GB or 8GB stick in the SO-DIMM socket, for a total of 8GB or 12GB of memory. If you are trying to put the incorrect amount of memory or the wrong speed of memory it is liable to not work. We don't know what your other laptop is, other than since it is Intel based it can't be an A315-22.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.