What m.2 SSD PCIe generation does my Predator PH315-53-5634 have?

Options
Edward12345
Edward12345 Member Posts: 1 New User

My Acer Predator Laptop's model is PH315-53-5634, and it has 2 m.2 SSD slots.

My laptop currently has in the first slot an m.2 SSD PCIe Gen3 one, and I am planning to use the second slot for an m.2 SSD that I bought which is a PCIe Gen4 one.

Would it be compatible and do both slots support PCIe Gen4 or not?

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,997 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

Your Predator PH315-53 takes PCIe 3 x4 type M.2 SSD drives but don't waste your money with PCIe 4 as they are expensive and will not give you any performance advantages. Buy any M.2 PCIe 3 x4 like Samsung, 970 Pro or like the WD NS750 type drives as they are both the best M.2 drives of whatever capacity you can afford or want for this laptop, btw I've got a AN515-56 and I use the Samsung 970 Pro and its excellent and works perfectly, also these drives can be put into both M.2 slots on this laptop..

Acer fitted PCIe 3 x4 M.2 drives for the PH315-53

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,582 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Gen4 are supposed to be backward compatible with Gen3 sockets. But often are NOT because it is still bleeding edge technology not as fully developed as Gen3,

The second m.2 is SATA speed limited but should accept Gen3 NVME cards like the WesternDigital blue NVME series or Crucial NVME series. I recommend both for you laptop but not Gen4 NVMEs as they are a waste of money and might be problems with your mainboard m.2 buss limitations.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,997 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

Your Predator PH315-53 takes PCIe 3 x4 type M.2 SSD drives but don't waste your money with PCIe 4 as they are expensive and will not give you any performance advantages. Buy any M.2 PCIe 3 x4 like Samsung, 970 Pro or like the WD NS750 type drives as they are both the best M.2 drives of whatever capacity you can afford or want for this laptop, btw I've got a AN515-56 and I use the Samsung 970 Pro and its excellent and works perfectly, also these drives can be put into both M.2 slots on this laptop..

Acer fitted PCIe 3 x4 M.2 drives for the PH315-53

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,582 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Gen4 are supposed to be backward compatible with Gen3 sockets. But often are NOT because it is still bleeding edge technology not as fully developed as Gen3,

The second m.2 is SATA speed limited but should accept Gen3 NVME cards like the WesternDigital blue NVME series or Crucial NVME series. I recommend both for you laptop but not Gen4 NVMEs as they are a waste of money and might be problems with your mainboard m.2 buss limitations.

Jack E/NJ