Help installing a 2nd 1TB ssd in my 315-55

Options
dhbailey52
dhbailey52 Member Posts: 3 New User

I bought a WD SN770 and installed it and strange things happened. At first the computer seemed to boot up properly but after a few seconds it froze and I needed to power down using the on/off button.

Next I went into the BIOS to see if I needed to somehow activate the second SSD drive but it only showed that there was one drive installed.

Then when I went to start the computer after that it wouldn't get past the circle of dots for Windows. So I again powered it down and removed the new SSD and it booted fine. Then I re-inserted the new SSD and looked at the original and noticed a discrepancy. The original SSD (also 1 TB, different brand) shows 3.3V, 2.5A while the new one I was trying to get to work shows 3.3V, 1.8A.

One of the strange reboots with the new SSD installed gave me a "no bootable disk found" message which scared the heck out of me. But removing the new SSD solved that issue.

I know I'm supposed to use a gen4 x4 SSD, and that's what I thought I was ordering with the WD SN770.

I'm sending the WD SN770 back and have ordered a PNY XLR8 CS3040 which specifically says gen 4 x4, but I can't find the volts or amp rating for it.

I never was able to get to Windows Disk Management to partition the new SSD because the BIOS didn't recognize it.

Any suggestions about what I might have done wrong? I'm typing this on the computer in question, so I obviously know enough to take it apart properly and put it back together to keep it working fine. I thought these were just "insert, boot up, partition, format and start using."

Is there some other step I don't know about?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Answers

• dhbailey52
    Options

I just realized I may not have been specific -- this SSD is for the second NVMe Gen4 x4 slot, I'm not trying to install a SATA SSD that looks like a small HDD.

• dhbailey52
    Options

I was able to install the replacement PNY XLR8 CS3040 this afternoon with no problem. However I did remember that I had left out one step yesterday, which was to disconnect the battery before installing the new SSD. I included that step today, so I still don't know if the original WD SN770 didn't match the specs or if it was because I had left out the disconnect-the-battery-before-installing step. The new PNY SSD1 matches the voltage and amps of the original drive (3.3V, 2.4A) so perhaps that made the difference.

For whatever reason I now happily have a second 1TB SSD successfully installed.