AN517-41-R7EK Usb C and usb 3 not working properly

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer

>>>Mhhh, I should check. Laptop has 8GB of RAM, and windows 11 should be using 4GB already it by itself. I will upgrade RAM and let you know.>>>

Just open Task Manager Performance tab and see how much free memory is currently available. If it's 4GB available, see if a file about 3GB transfers OK in the USBA port directly.

As for the hub effect, it's hard to tell precisely how the Windows system handles transferring files from a USBC port to a USBA drive via an intermediate hub adapter. Maybe slower transfer than if it could be done directly from a USBA port to a USBA drive using available RAM?

Jack E/NJ

• friedrichs
    friedrichs Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

No, this time I connected the usb hub not with usb c cable but with normal male usb a cable.

• JackE

>>>I plugged the USB drive not directly to the pc, but through a USB hub and it worked with no issues>>>

>>>No, this time I connected the usb hub not with usb c cable but with normal male usb a cable.>>>

Sorry. I'm getting confused. First you said that you used hub with no issues. Then you said that you used a usbc-2-usba adapater

Jack E/NJ

• friedrichs
    edited September 2022

Ok. I'll explain it again :D

PC has currently 3 issues:

1) The USB-C port is not powering the HUB or the cooling pad, but it still lets me connect other things like mouse or phone.

2) All the USB-A ports around the laptop are working with all devices (keyboard, mouse, usb drives, cooling pad...), but when plugging usb drives and starting a large file transfer they connect and disconnect the plugged drive repeatedly.

3) To bypass the problem of disconnection, I must "bypass" the ports, using a HUB like filter in the current order:

• LAPTOP USB-A <----> USB DRIVE (disconnection during large file transfer)
    • LAPTOP USB-A <-----> USB HUB <------> USB DRIVE (works everything fine)

I hope it's clearer now

• JackE

>>>LAPTOP USB-A <----> USB DRIVE (disconnection during large file transfer)>>>

Let's focus on this one first. Please check free RAM memory in Task Manager Performance tab. Then try to transfer a file that's about a 0.5GB smaller than free RAM

Jack E/NJ

• friedrichs

Ok, I have news....

I checked free RAM on task manager and it showed 4GB of free memory. I did the test with 2 different usb drives (2.0 and 3.0) (that are working properly in my other laptop and pc) and tried to transfer a 700MB file, a 3.5GB file and a 5GB file (all the tests while free memory was at 4GB):

• 1) 700MB, 3.5GB and 5GB file transfers from PC to USB 2.0 succesfully completed.
    • 2) Same trasnfers to the USB 3.0 drive all failed, since issue appeared again and usb disconnected and connected repeatedly again.