Trying (unsuccessfully) to replace my gateway nv54 HDD(hitachi)with an ADATA ssd(su 800).

I have tried migrating the OS, which can't be done because the sector size is not the same (512 vs 4096) and tried using install media to install the OS directly with the SSD in the SATA port, and I am not sure what I can do, if anything to get this to work. Any suggestions?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer

My advice to you is "Don’t Do It"! You are asking for a lot of trouble cloning drives with such miss matched specs. Why would you want to transfer all of the old corrupt files and malware to your new drive? Do a clean install of Win-10 to your SATA III - ADATA SU800 SSD 2.5", connect your old HDD via a SATA to USB cable, scan it with Windows Defender and transfer your personal files you need to the new SSD drive. You will need to reinstall you other software, but this a much better way to recover and leave the junk files behind from your old drive.

• Timeforanewlaptop
    Timeforanewlaptop Member Posts: 4 New User

I should have specified that I tried to do a clean install of Windows 10 using the media creation tool, with the SSD in the laptop, and the MCT on a USB drive. That also wouldn't work, possibly due to the partitions not being correctly set up, because, well, I don't know what needs to be done.

• What is the exact model of the gateway? Example AN515-55-58VH.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,365 Trailblazer

Any of the disk cloning software packages should be able to handle the migration for you, regardless of the hardware differences. Those differences are under the file system in the stack and the clone is done at the file system level. You should be able to boot from the old HDD, clone to the SSD (likely mounted in an external case), then pull the HDD and install the SSD. You might want, at that point, to boot into the BIOS and do a reset/save and exit, then boot into your normal environment using the SSD.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Timeforanewlaptop
    Timeforanewlaptop Member Posts: 4 New User

I tried MiniTool Partition Wizard, and it wouldn't let me clone the drive saying that the sector size was preventing it from happening. Is there a better free solution?

• You can test acronis and macrium reflect.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,365 Trailblazer

The last few times I've done this I used Macrium Reflect.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.