Power button LED suddenly dim Veriton M4665G,

asoces
asoces Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Sometime after updating the BIOS on my Veriton M4665G, the power button LED became so dim, you can barely see in the daytime. Would this be an expected change in the BIOS, or just a coincidence and my LED is dying?

(Edited the title to add model name )

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer

>>>Sometime after updating the BIOS>>>just a coincidence and my LED is dying?>>>

BIOS updates are primarily meant for machines that have a serious problem? What problem were you trying to fix with the update?

Jack E/NJ

• asoces

Tinkerer

Just to make sure my machine has all fixes and can support the most current cpu possible.

• JackE

Sorry, unless you had a serious and identifiable problem to fix, BIOS firmware updates are NOT recommended due to the risk of adverse side effects or worse. They are not easily reversed like software drivers if something goes wrong or a serious side effect occurs.

This is why there's a very visible red-highlighted warning at the top of each BIOS firmware update list that they can damage your machine. "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution."

If it was my machine and If the only side effect was a dimmed power LED, then I would leave it alone. Because trying to reverse a slightly less than perfect BIOS update to fix a minor side effect is even riskier than a performing a firmware update.

Jack E/NJ

• asoces

Tinkerer

I’ve been flashing BIOSes since the early 90’s…not a big deal. It used to be that when you called tech support, one of the first things they’d check is if you had the latest BIOS.

I’m just trying to find out if Acer programmed a dimmer power LED into the newer BIOS releases.

• JackE

Enter the BIOS menu. Press Ctrl+S to reveal any hidden options that may be relevant in any of the BIOS pages or tabs.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer

Acer tends to only tell us the big changes to a BIOS revision and I'd expect a dimmer LED wouldn't rise to the level, unless as 'changes for better battery life'.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • asoces

Tinkerer

Thanks for the tip… no hidden settings on any tab or page.

• asoces

Tinkerer

Yes, very disappointing…. The lack of detailed changelogs.

• JackE

>>>The lack of detailed changelogs.>>>

They often identify major i/o issues that some production mainboards might have. Otherwise, most BIOS updates should be considered last resorts after exhausting all other ways available after POST. As mentioned earlier, I could easily live with a dimmer power LED if it was mine even if it was a coincidence. 🙂

Jack E/NJ