kingston rbusns8154p3256gj1 (acer oem ssd) locked. cant format the drive or delete partitions

boxer5084
boxer5084 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in Servers & Storage

Hi i have a kingston rbusns8154p3256gj1 (acer oem ssd)that i got from someone out of an acer laptop, but i cant format the drive or delete the partitions to use the drive in my pc. Is it an oem lock thing or is it another issue? Has anyone experienced it? I have used multiple hard drive utilities to try and wipe it but nothing works.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer

If the card is installed internally, please post a phone photo of your PC's BIOS Information tab. If the card is installed externally with a USB adapter, please post a elevated command prompt screenshot of the diskpart prompt 'list disk'

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

It's another issue, the drives aren't locked or encrypted from the factory. The U-SNS8154P3 drives are NVMe x2 so pretty standard...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ruben_filipe07
    Ruben_filipe07 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I literally got the same error, on this same sdd. In short, I changed my ssd for a kingston nv2, and the part was left over, so I bought an nvme case to use as external storage. But it doesn't format at all, I've tried diskpart and some utilities (minitools and aomei).

• What is your laptops model number, as this Kingston RBUSNS8154P3256GJ1, that is a mid-range M.2 2280 PCIe 3x4 NVMe SSD. might not be compatible with your laptop, as your laptop might only be compatible with M.2 SATA-3 6GB/s M.2 SSD drivers. Look at this Microsoft Initialize new disks guide

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,031 Trailblazer
    edited September 2023

SSD drives now are often encrypted either by vendors or PC manufacturers. IMO, if you don’t have the encryption key/password, there is absolutely no solution, your drive is permanently encrypted with no way to decrypt it.

• JackE

I literally got the same error, on this same sdd. In short, I changed my
    ssd for a kingston nv2, and the part was left over, so I bought an nvme
    case to use as external storage. But it doesn't format at all, I've
    tried diskpart and some utilities (minitools and aomei).

Please post a screenshot of diskpart's "list volume" command if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey

In diskpart, with the drive selected via a "sel disk #" command, what happens when you do a "erase"?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

I literally got the same error, on this same sdd. In short, I changed my
    ssd for a kingston nv2, and the part was left over, so I bought an nvme
    case to use as external storage. But it doesn't format at all, I've
    tried diskpart and some utilities (minitools and aomei).

Jack E/NJ

• Ruben_filipe07

Tinkerer

I've tried to format using the diskpart clean command, but after "create partition primary" or "format fs=ntfs" it goes back to the previous state. I thought my ssd was bad but crystalDiskInfo says it's fine

• JackE

Jack E/NJ

• Have you tried updating the ssd's firmware?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ruben_filipe07

Tinkerer

Até agora não achei nenhum firmware referente a este modelo. Por ser um modelo OEM não tem nada no site da kingston, e nem é reconhecido no software "kingston ssd manager."

So far I have not found any firmware for this model. Because it is an OEM model, it has nothing on the kingston website, nor is it recognized in the "kingston ssd manager" software.

• boxer5084

cant find software or anything for it i just threw mine away its not worth struggling so much

cant find software or anything for it i just threw mine away its not worth struggling so much

• That is not the case, M.2 SSD drives are not encrypted or locked, I got gifted a PCIe 3x4 1TB M.2 SSD that was a proprietary boot drive from a Dell laptop and its a WD SN730 in my Aspire A515-57-56UV that has a M.2 SSD PCI4x4 boot drive and this 1TB WD SN730 is used as a slave drive and it works perfectly and it was formatted easily and without any problems. So there must be something wrong with either the slot on your laptop or this M.2 SSD drive, this PCIe3x4 drive retails for USD $28 so its pretty cheap andf you can replace it, as 256GB drives are virtually useless these days.

• boxer5084

The drive comes out of a laptop i had it in my pc not in a laptop, t doesnt want to format or clean in anyway not even by using programs like mini tool partitioning wizard. And there is no software updates for ot or so because it doesnt show up in kingstons software i tried it in different m.2 slots as well.

• JackE

Jack E/NJ

• Try using these commands, opening the command prompt as administrator:
    diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk x
    clean

Back up your files just in case.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,031 Trailblazer

I have a M.2 NVMe SSD installed (Micron_2450_MTFDKBA512TFK) that was encrypted by the laptop vendor, the code is saved on the motherboard as I can decrypt the drive but decided to just leave it. If you don't have the encryption code for that drive there is no way to decrypt it, the drive will be useless. Google it.

• billsey

That doesn't make sense… You shouldn't be able to access the data on the drive without the correct password (and potentially without putting it into the same model of machine, or the same machine name) but you should be able to wipe the drive completely and reuse it.