TMP214-53-58GN HDD Kit Screw Size? What are the screw sizes required for the bracket?

Vanilla66
Vanilla66 Member Posts: 63 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited February 2023 in TravelMate and Extensa

Hi,

I received my HDD kit from Acer but they do not provide screws. The 2.5" HDD screws I have work for mounting the HDD to the bracket but they seem a little too big for mounting the bracket to the laptop. What are the screw sizes required for the bracket?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,881 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

You can get computer screws on eBay and Amazon that have all the required and default screws need for computers, search this on the web and you will find the appropriate screws that you need. The below list is a screw list from another Travelmate model which should be the same, so get a kit that has the M2.5*4.0 type larger screws as those are the screw that you need to mount the HDD to the bottom case of your Travelmate.

• Vanilla66

Thank you!

• Vanilla66

My local acer parts distributor sells only the screws with the kit as a complete set and I didn’t want to buy a bunch of extra screws I wasn’t going to use.

I live an hour from the acer repair centre for my area so I called Acer and asked if the repair centre had some screws. The agent said that’s a great idea and that they would ask. Two days later and I got a knock at the door and a bag of screws.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

Nice to know they were so accommodating! :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Vanilla66

I just installed a 2nd SSD. The screws also came with a printout that confirmed @StevenGen 's list of required screws is correct. It sucks that service and parts documentation isn't more widely available. Acers are really easy laptops to work on.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,881 Trailblazer
    edited February 2023

That is great and glad to help you out, as you are lucky that you have a shop like that so near to you and you can get the Acer oem kit for your TMP214-53-58GN laptop, also as I can see your TMP214-53-58GN laptop SATA HDD mobo plug is a proper SATA plug as the new Nitro laptops (which I have one) have a very cheap SATA mobo plug connector that is in an awkward spot, get damaged very easily and makes connecting a 2.5"HDD virtually impossible on Nitro laptops, as whenever you connect the flat SATA cable, the connection are not 100% and that makes the laptop refuse to boot.

• Vanilla66

Thank you! It sucks that they cut that corner on that series.