Predator Helios 300 PH315-54 Sparked on motherboard while cleaning fans

Options
slowhands31
slowhands31 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2022 in Predator Laptops

Predator Helios 300 PH315-54 ( i510300 2070)

Hi Good day, I would like to ask if there is a way to fix this on my own. I am away from "land" (ofw) so I wont be able to bring my laptop to any repair shop.

(While cleaning fans) I was able to clean the fans from outside without unscrewing the heatsinks (I shouldnt have unscrewed it) after removing the screw on the picture the bottom of the plastic casing (where the screw is located) touched the burnt part in the picture. I was holding the heat sinks with both hands so im sure it wasnt the tool im using that touched the motherboard. Though I was able to turn it on and play games for like 30mins. Then It shuts down and never turn on again. Its still showing steady Orange Led but when trying to turn it on.. Blue and Turbo Led blinks once then all leds dissappears.

I really need some answers here. Thank you so much. I know the rules of the warranties but Im really desperate here.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,582 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Any PL511 should work but it's best to choose the one with the same connector footprint as the burned out one on the board. Click on each of the six models and choose one that seems closest to what you have. It's hard for me to determine exactly which one from internet photos. I have no direct access to mainboard discrete component schematic diagrams so I tried to zoom in for you below but it's best looking yourself possibly with a magnifying glass. You might be able to download the schematic PDF for about $20usd by google searching the keywords laptop schematics.

If it was mine, I'd probably wait until I could take the mainboard to an experienced mainboard repair technician so he can check out the rest of the board with specialized equipment. Trying to do this work yourself with ordinary pencil tip soldering tools may cause irreparable collateral damage to nearby components that may still be functional.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    edited August 2022
    Options

Sorry. That is a crystal timer that the mainboard needs to operate properly. Unfortunately, trying to run the laptop with a burned out timer might've caused other mainboard components to fail as well. While a new timer is relatively inexpensive from the suppliers listed in this timer reference sheet, trying to replace the old one by desoldering/resoldering yourself could cause even more damage if other parts of the mainboard are still OK. Checking out the rest of the mainboard can only done with specialized equipment You should definitely not try to run the laptop in this condition if you have any hope of saving the mainboard which is well over $500.

https://www.datasheetarchive.com/PL511-datasheet.html

Jack E/NJ

• slowhands31
    Options

Thank you for your answer. My hope is now gone 😂

• slowhands31
    Options

from the link. Whats the product I should be looking spefically?

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

Any PL511 should work but it's best to choose the one with the same connector footprint as the burned out one on the board. Click on each of the six models and choose one that seems closest to what you have. It's hard for me to determine exactly which one from internet photos. I have no direct access to mainboard discrete component schematic diagrams so I tried to zoom in for you below but it's best looking yourself possibly with a magnifying glass. You might be able to download the schematic PDF for about $20usd by google searching the keywords laptop schematics.

If it was mine, I'd probably wait until I could take the mainboard to an experienced mainboard repair technician so he can check out the rest of the board with specialized equipment. Trying to do this work yourself with ordinary pencil tip soldering tools may cause irreparable collateral damage to nearby components that may still be functional.

Jack E/NJ

• slowhands31
    Options

Thank you for your detailed answer.. I will take note of this. And I hope my post can help others in the future..

well I guess I have to wait until I get back to Philippines.

• JackE
    Options

>>>I have to wait until I get back to Philippines>>>

I think that's the best decision since there still seems to be a reasonable chance of repairing the mainboard. Good luck. 🙂

Jack E/NJ