USB one not working for TravelMate P259-MG

rosswilliamson
rosswilliamson Member Posts: 20 Networker
edited August 2022 in TravelMate and Extensa
On my Acer Travelmate I have always used the right hand USB port ( Black) for the dongle of my wireless mouse. yesterday it was in and working, I had to leave the computer for a while and when I came back the mouse didn't work, or any usb stick is not recognised ? I have followed all the advise under the sun to no avail, power options, uninstall drivers etc, the dongle works in the blue port,also USB sticks are recognised and work but nothing shows in the black port ?? Help please

[Thread was edited to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer
    On my Acer Travelmate I have always used the right hand USB port ( Black) for the dongle of my wireless mouse. yesterday it was in and working, I had to leave the computer for a while and when I came back the mouse didn't work, or any usb stick is not recognised ? I have followed all the advise under the sun to no avail, power options, uninstall drivers etc, the dongle works in the blue port,also USB sticks are recognised and work but nothing shows in the black port ?? Help please
    What is the exact TravelMate model that you have? As USB ports just don't go bad, unless either its a software issues (which is very rare) or its a hardware issue. As and if you have done everything to reinstall drivers and its still not operating then, there could be problems with your USB side port so (see caption below) check all its internal pins and if its not dislodged for it could also be that its shorted from the internal USB board and all USB devices are making 100% full contact with the side port, if its not then its got to do with the actual internal USB BOARD ASSY W/MIC board or its connecting cable to the actual mobo. Check all this out as you might have a USB board problem that needs replacing as a malfunctioning USB' board has numerous operational functions of your laptop and in some cases it even affects your screen functionality and gives a blanc screen. 

USB board of a TravelMate Spin B311R-31

USB port pins and its pins description

• rosswilliamson
    Hi Steven, thanks for your reply. My Acer is a TravelMate P259-MG. about 6 years old. What you have mentioned is out of my league as a layman, if it is the port or board I will have to get a technician to look at it. Seems strange that it stopped working while still in use, although left idle for a few minutes, Regards
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Yes, on the P259-MG models there is a USB 2.0 port on the left side, next to the DVD that is connected to the motherboard through a ribbon cable. You should remove and replace both ends of the ribbon cable in case there's some corrosion that's causing the failure. Also inspect the board itself to look for any burned components. Look closely at the connectors, there's a little latch mechanism that goes across to hold things together. Just lift it on it's hinge to release the ribbon.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rosswilliamson
    Hello Bilsey, thanks for your suggestion but this fix is beyond me as a layman, taking it in to a techie this week.
  • billsey
    Likely the best choice if you are uncomfortable with tearing things apart on your own, especially if you are uncomfortable putting them back together again. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rosswilliamson
    I have been informed by an Acer technician that as the port is on the same side as the power input the port will be on the mother board and is not worth the cost of fixing, looks like a new lap top is due !
  • billsey

I thought the port that was causing the problem was the black port on the right side of the laptop, not one of the blue ports on the left side (or the USB-C also on the left side). The DC-IN connector and the USB 2.0 port are both on the right side. The DC-IN with just a cable to the MB and the port on a small daughter card.