Lifespan of a Nitro 5 Laptop

Giddyup
Giddyup Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi There,
I have a 2.5 year old Nitro 5 laptop that has what appears to be a failing graphics card
Machine will occasionally lose screen with flickering pixels etc...
Rebooting the machine fixes the problem
Have contacted the listed service agent (Melbourne Australia) and they quoted me almost the amount I paid for the laptop to replace the mainboard
Surely these devices should last more than 2.5 years ?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022
    Giddyup said:
    Hi There,
    I have a 2.5 year old Nitro 5 laptop that has what appears to be a failing graphics card
    Machine will occasionally lose screen with flickering pixels etc...
    Rebooting the machine fixes the problem
    Have contacted the listed service agent (Melbourne Australia) and they quoted me almost the amount I paid for the laptop to replace the mainboard
    Surely these devices should last more than 2.5 years ?
    Firstly, a motherboard replacement should only be considered if the cpu or gpu are burned out and not working at all and your laptop is completely dead due to those problems, as in your case it doesn't seem that you have problems like those. All motherboards can be fixed but only if the problems are not with a cpu/gpu or some ram circuitry problems. In your case it could be a screen eDP cable/plug at the screen or mobo parts that is not making 100% contact or its damaged, an actual screen issue or a mobo related voltage issue with its circuitries etc etc. Get an expert tech to look at your laptop in as surely there must be some good techs in Melbourne that can diagnose your problems?

As and If this technician in Melbourne can't actually diagnose and/or fix motherboard components and replace chips (ask him) then take it to another tech that can and will individually diagnose components and pin point the exact problems that you have. As it could be a simple problem that is not with the gpu as it could be a simple chip that is shorted/damaged/burned out that needs replacing causing your issues. My suggestion to you is to look up the issue that you are having on the web, or look up these techs on YouTube like Electronics repair school or NorthridgeFix who have thousands of videos on different laptop and desktop issues and screen problems are also covered and you can get a good guide to what your problems are so that you can pre guide a tech to fix or have some sort of an idea where to fix your laptop and you can save costs. Try all this first as I'm sure that your problem is not with a gpu and you need to replace a mobo.