Brand new Nitro AN515-57 overheated, afterwards battery wouldn't charge and computer stuttering

Options
sorenkair
sorenkair Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I got this laptop a couple days ago, and yesterday I was 5 hours into streaming Valorant when it overheated I think and shut itself off. I had it on a laptop stand so there shouldn't be any ventilation issues. I let it sit for a couple of hours before turned it back on.

It wasn't until the battery was at 30% that I noticed it wasn't charging properly because the charger kept connecting and disconnecting (and beeping). I shut it down, replugged charger directly into wall, charging light is on. Turned it back on 20 minutes later to see that battery level hasn't changed. I tried using it for a little while, the battery level stayed the same. However if I tried to play anything the charger would start connecting and disconnecting again every couple of seconds, causing the whole computer to lag and stutter. (Actually I tried it with 3 games: League, Valorant, and Genshin. League was the only game that didn't cause the stuttering.)

Then I took off the back and disconnected the battery, booted on AC only. But the stuttering problem still persisted when I play.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,946 Trailblazer
    Options
    sorenkair said:
    I got this laptop a couple days ago, and yesterday I was 5 hours into streaming Valorant when it overheated I think and shut itself off. I had it on a laptop stand so there shouldn't be any ventilation issues. I let it sit for a couple of hours before turned it back on.

It wasn't until the battery was at 30% that I noticed it wasn't charging properly because the charger kept connecting and disconnecting (and beeping). I shut it down, replugged charger directly into wall, charging light is on. Turned it back on 20 minutes later to see that battery level hasn't changed. I tried using it for a little while, the battery level stayed the same. However if I tried to play anything the charger would start connecting and disconnecting again every couple of seconds, causing the whole computer to lag and stutter. (Actually I tried it with 3 games: League, Valorant, and Genshin. League was the only game that didn't cause the stuttering.)

Then I took off the back and disconnected the battery, booted on AC only. But the stuttering problem still persisted when I play.

Hi sorenkair and very sorry to hear that your laptop is in this state, What I want to ask you is this, was the laptops fans triggered into high speed when the laptops was reaching these high temps? As and if your AN515-57 cpu/gpu gets over a certain temp the fans should compensate for those higher temps and both cpu/gpu fans should be spinning at their max speeds, did you have NitroSense fans set to “Auto” as this Acer software should have been pre-installed by Acer as an OEM software and into your laptop? As what happened to your AN515-57 (especially on a new laptop) should not be happening especially with a game like "Valorant". Also you mustn’t have this laptop setup properly to play especially a game for 5 hours continually, which can cause damage to components if the laptop overheats and the NS software is not triggered and is not setup properly with the likes of the latest gpu drivers, the windows OS not up to date and all Intel drivers up to date and especially NS functioning properly to control the cooling fans and temps automatically, as you haven’t mentioned anything about NS functionality and if it was triggered?

I’ve got a brand new AN515-56 running Win-11 Home which is pretty much the same laptop and I play games and use this laptop for more than 5 hours daily and continually in a tropical climate and have never ever experienced what you are experiencing or has this laptop ever missed a beat hardware wise, yes its had some premature powering off (due to an external USB hub) and some Win-11 Intel Bluetooth new and Intel updated drivers that don’t work but, that is all the problems I’ve had.

My suggestion to you is this, don’t do anything more to this laptop as its ‘under warranty’ send it back to Acer and utilise your 12 months warranty and tell Acer Support exactly what you have stated here, as by stressing this laptop there might be components that are faulty and a user like you cannot fix irrespective of what you are trying to update, reset as its an internal issue.   

• sorenkair
    sorenkair Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    I finished everything in Windows update, got nvidia drivers from their website. I didn't touch anything in Nitrosense.