Can I upgrade my monitor?

Options
m_hossain07
m_hossain07 Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi I have been looking for the perfect monitor for a very long time. I've been looking to get a monitor for a one cable laptop setup that I have been thinking about but I cannot find any which are reasonably priced. I am looking for a monitor with thunderbolt 3 to connect to me laptop for power delivery and to use as a display cable and a USB hub i.e. a couple of new gen USB ports to connect my peripherals to which will connect to my laptop through the thunderbolt cable, including all the basics like high refresh rate like 144hz, HDMI port, FHD display, slim bezels. But I have scoured the internet to find a monitor with these but I can't find any. I was wondering if I could buy a monitor from Acer and upgrade to have these specs. I want to know if that is possible, and if it is then how will I go about it. I emailed the same question to Acer support and they told me to buy it first, get it shipped to my house, and ship it back to Acer to upgrade it. So I just want to confirm how it would work. Thanks.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,524 Trailblazer
    Options
    You first probably need to have the perfect laptop for the perfect monitor.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,970 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi I have been looking for the perfect monitor for a very long time. I've been looking to get a monitor for a one cable laptop setup that I have been thinking about but I cannot find any which are reasonably priced. I am looking for a monitor with thunderbolt 3 to connect to me laptop for power delivery and to use as a display cable and a USB hub i.e. a couple of new gen USB ports to connect my peripherals to which will connect to my laptop through the thunderbolt cable, including all the basics like high refresh rate like 144hz, HDMI port, FHD display, slim bezels. But I have scoured the internet to find a monitor with these but I can't find any. I was wondering if I could buy a monitor from Acer and upgrade to have these specs. I want to know if that is possible, and if it is then how will I go about it. I emailed the same question to Acer support and they told me to buy it first, get it shipped to my house, and ship it back to Acer to upgrade it. So I just want to confirm how it would work. Thanks.

There are plenty of TB3 monitors with TB3 powered cables (the cheaper ones USD $500 are up to 75Hz) which are reasonably priced but for the higher refresher rates like 144HJz and above you need to pay more, this is a new technology that monitor manufacturers have just begun to sell but “what is your budget”? As that is the most important thing with these monitors, as they are not cheap and if your budget is 250 then forget about it. Have a look here at “How Thunderbolt 3 is changing monitor technology” but remember that some users have had these monitors one cable monitor but, in allot of cases they are back to using the separate charger as the back of the monitor was getting very hot and also affecting their laptops. As these monitors are running near max temperatures especially on hot days and also a hot monitor makes your face hotter when you use it, not a good feeling, also their convenience benefits isn't a big deal.