Power consumption Acer XC-115 4600 very high in off position

franky58
franky58 Member Posts: 2 New User
All,

My Acer Aspire XC-115 -4600 consumes in the power off stand 16 watts.
According to the manual it should be 1-2 watt.
In pause mode (ubuntu 18.04) it also uses 16 watts.
I can't find anything in the bios to reduce the power consumption, so the only way is to disconnect it from the mains.
Also hibernate does not work under ubuntu 18.04.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Franky

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer
    Many Ubuntu distros are simply not as good as Windows for PC power management in standby mode. Neither Ubuntu nor Windows are very good for hibernation. Accordingly hibernation shouldn't be used anyway. Mint Cinnamon 19.3 seems to be better at power management than most 18.04 based distros. Accordingly, I suggest that you post your issue on a ubuntu users forum for whatever distro you're using.

Jack E/NJ

• franky58
    franky58 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for yr response. I know that hibernation mostly not works. But the main problem is that when the power is OFF the XC-115 4600 still uses 14-16 watts and that is not normal. The manual indicates 1-2 watts power consumption when the desktop is off. 
    Is this maybe bios realated? I still use the factory flashed bios.

Franky

• JackE
    >>>But the main problem is that when the power is OFF the XC-115 4600 still uses 14-16 watts >>>

You must long press power button for 4-5 seconds to turn power off. Short press usually won't power off,

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Features like Windows Fast Start or Wake on LAN use extra power while the system is turned 'off'...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    >>>Wake on LAN use extra power while the system is turned 'off'...>>>

Yes, good point. Make sure WoL isn't enabled in the BIOS

Jack E/NJ