Screen turns to black screen whenever I go to BIOS or when i connect an external monitor.

Options
jasperallen
jasperallen Member Posts: 3 New User

Whenever I go to BIOS or when I connect an external monitor, my laptop screen turns to black screen with some glitches above *see attached photo. I need to clean my laptop but I can't do it since I cannot see bios.

I own Acer Nitro 5 and I am having this issue for like 3 months now.
What can I do now?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,687 Trailblazer
    Options
    Open Device Manager. Expand Display adapter folder. Please show screenshot if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,350 Trailblazer
    Options

Whenever I go to BIOS or when I connect an external monitor, my laptop screen turns to black screen with some glitches above *see attached photo. I need to clean my laptop but I can't do it since I cannot see bios.

I own Acer Nitro 5 and I am having this issue for like 3 months now.
    What can I do now?
    How are you trying to get into bios? As this is how you enter bios through windows 11 and its the same through windows 10, have a look at this guide "How to enter the UEFI/BIOS from Windows 11 as you must be doing something wrong. If not then your bios might be frozen, so open the back cover disconnect the main battery and bios battery and reconnect both after about 5 min as that should give your bios feature back. 
  • jasperallen
    Options
  • jasperallen
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @StevenGen I think I'm on the bios but the rest of my screen turned to black. *see attached photo 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,350 Trailblazer
    Options
    @StevenGen I think I'm on the bios but the rest of my screen turned to black. *see attached photo 
    First, what is the exsact Nitro 5 model number that you have e.g. AN515-xx as it will be easier to advise you of the exact parts that you need to replace, as I've got a Nitro AN515-56 with the same gpu and my laptop never ever had this problem and whenever I had a blanc/black screen (which was just a couple of times) all I did to rest the laptops is to take the main battery and the RTC/BIIOS battery out for 5 min and then reconnected both bayerites and it worked and reset perfectly. As taking both of these batteries out for 5 min will reset the laptops Super IO startup chip that commands all aspects of your laptops functions including the bios chip.

Also and if you have disconnected the batteries and the screen is still black/blanc its probably your screens eDP cord plug that connects to the motherboard that has come lose and its not making 100% contact with the motherboard plug and not giving you an image or its the actual eDP cable that is damaged (as its got allot of fine power and data cables inside) that could have shorted its 19V power pins or data pins and that is why your screen is black/blanc and not giving an image. Check all these aspects of your screens preliminary connections as screen issues have allot to do with its connection and/or the eDP cable this cable that could be damaged/broken its fine wires that connect to the plugs at both motherboard or screen causing a short, also and remember that this cord runs from the top case to the bottom case and is under allot of movement/wear when you open and close the laptop and those thin wires inside this eDP cord can get damaged, the last resort is that the actual screen is faulty and needs replacing which very rareley goes wrong. Check all these aspects out first as a bios is not the issue as it could also be a faulty/dirty RAM pins, so take that out and clean its pins and the mobo RAM plug and reconnect that also.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,687 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>when I connect an external monitor>>>

Does Windows boot OK to the lid screen with the external monitor disconnected?

Jack E/NJ