Speakers on the Bottom! can't hear YouTube

Options
Belamom
Belamom Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 2023 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks
Geez, can't hear YouTube, my online classes that I need to move around with, music, etc, etc, etc!!! WTH, Acer!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Options
    They're supposed to reflect sound from a hard surface. If sound still isn't loud enough by adjusting Sound setting, shop the Microsoft store for freeware sound boosters.

Jack E/NJ

• Belamom
    Options
    LOL, JackE, so a LAPtop isn't made for my lap? Kind of like HAMburger or Egg cream? Thanks, I'll check out sound boosters!
  • JackE
    Options
    As long as you don't block the airvents, laps are OK for laptops. But desktops are even better for laptops. :)

Jack E/NJ

• Belamom
    Options
    Well, I must be going deaf. Neither allows me to hear any better. Also, forget about having the fan or AC on! Downloaded an equalizer app, but need to figure out out...🤷🏻‍♀️😳
  • JackE
    Options
    Except for gaming machines, most laptop audio power output is little more than that of a pre-amp. My hearing isn't that great. And my listening isn't  too good either, So I usually have to use headphones. Or maybe you just got a lemon.  Might help if you could reveal the full model number. For example, A515-54? Also speakers will sound sorta muffled if the output grates on the front edges are covered up with soft lap tissue and/or clothing.  :)

Jack E/NJ

• Earther
    Earther Member Posts: 5 New User
    edited September 2023
    Options

I just got the Acer Spin 514 Ryzen 5 cp514 (aka CP514 flip) today, and I didn't realize that it had bottom speakers. It's quiet even with the sound set to highest and also mufflled. It must be the speaker quality, too, because the sound is still totally unacceptable with with Sony headphones. So using a sound booster just to make it louder isn't likely to solve the problem. Besides, I don't want to have to wear headphones to listen to a YouTube how-to video.

I obviously missed this in the Best Buy listing or the bottom speakers weren't mentioned, because I would not have ordered it had I known that's what it has. I'm so disappointed. Likely to return it before the week ends.

• JackE
    Options

FYI, most laptops either have speakers mounted on the bottom or near the lower edge of the top cover. YouTube videos, especially music videos, are notoriously bad indications of laptop AV quality or volume/clarity output. Some videos are loud. Some barely audible. Some tinny. Some fuzzy. This is because the videos are mostly posted by AV amateurs, not experienced professional AV technicians

Jack E/NJ