There is an error in SMART detection Acer aspire TC 885 UA91

Options

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,432 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options
    This was for a HP Laptop but same deal.  
    You mat not be able to do a chkdsk but you you can reset the bios by removing the battery for a time or do the reset jumper (I don't know how on your unit) or possibly hit the delete key quick when you're booting to enter and do a F9 to the bios to default. 

How do I fix a SMART hard drive error on my HP laptop?
    How to: fix SMART Hard Disk Error (301)
    1. ➜ Fix 1. Reset BIOS to default settings. Smart Hard Disk Error (301) may occur due to misconfigured BIOS, try to reset BIOS to default settings. ...
    2. ➜ Fix 2. Reseat your hard drive. ...
    3. ➜ Fix 3. Run CHKDSK.exe to check and fix boot drive. ...
    4. ➜ Fix 4. Low-level format hard drive and reinstall OS.
  • Helenejg
    Helenejg Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
    Options
    @Larryodie
    i will do those things today before I start anything else. Thanks for the suggestions,
  • Helenejg
    Options
    @Larryodie
    i have just reseated the sad, and taking the battery out. Even if this doesn't work, I can get to the bios, so I will follow your last directions. After that, it is replacing the sdd.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    No, don't take those steps, you will loose everything on the drive if you do a low level format!
    That particular set of instructions won't fix what caused the SMART errors, it only hides them until they next reappear...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Options
    I agree that , If she gets thru step 3 with the CHKDSK fix then a back up would be in order not a format. I would hope that the reseating would fix it 
  • Helenejg
    Options
    I have so far installed the new ssd and have the old one in the enclosure ready to move files. But I still need to download Windows 10. I have to first figure out where I can do that.
  • Helenejg
    Options
    Larryodie, I did steps 1 and 2. O couldn't do a chkdsk because I can't get to DOS.
  • Larryodie
    Options
    Do you still get the "SMART ERROR ? if so then continue to buy a new. Sorry but I thought that maybe a possibility.
  • billsey
    Options
    The best place to download Windows 10 is direct from Microsoft.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Helenejg

Glad that you have already installed the new NVMe SSD. Originally, I thought you might need some more info on how to get access to the NVMe SSD.
    I want to add some info.

Yeah, the best way is to download from Microsoft website as @Billsey mentioned.

Have an USB flash drive with MBR partition table and FAT32 format not to exceed 32 GB ready. Normally, a new 16/32 GB flash drive will be right for it.

Download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft to your husband's PC and run the program and make the bootable Win 10/Win11 flash drive there.
    Peroanlly, I still use Win 10 with my TC-885-UA91 and will delay the Win 11 upgrade until 2025 when it will be absolutely needed.

If the flash drive is bootable, when bootup the TC-885-UA91, keep tapping F12 key (or if you are still using the original Acer keyboard, you may need to hold down the Fn key and keep tapping F12 when bootup) until you see the Bootmenu, the flash drive should appear under the Bootmenu.

After the installation and reboot, Win 10 will try to activate and ask for product key. Just answer " I do not have product key". Win 10 will read the embedded digital license from the motherboard automatically.

• billsey
    Options
    Actually there is no need to set the drive up with MBR and FAT32 and 32GB and smaller. The burn process sets the correct drive type and filesystem and I've been successful creating install images on drives as larger as 256GB, so I wouldn't expect size to be an issue at all, unless you were to go the MBR/FAT32 route which has it's own inherent limits.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @billsey

Thanks for the info. Now I see someone reported using 256GB flash drive with success. Do you mean a flash drive with NTFS format will do that too?
  • Helenejg
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the help. I am still getting the error. I had to take today away from it for an appointment, but I will be back at it tomorrow. I'll be checking out all the suggestions about downloading windows and going from there. I'll keep you posted. I did see that Acer would send a thumb drive for $54, so i am keeping that in mind if things don't work out tomorrow.
  • Larryodie
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I've never seen anyone to get that thumb drive to work. As always error 262150.  I really don't think it has been update. I think dates of 2012 was on my instructions. Bummer
  • Helenejg
    Options
    @Larryodie
    thanks for that info about the thumb drive from Acer. I will call and talk to someone before I put my money down. Hoping I can get a copy from Microsoft that works. 
  • Larryodie
    Options
    This has always worked for me. Create in any brand as mine was created on a Lenovo and worked OK on an Acer. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

• Helenejg
    Options
    I have had some success. I have Windows 10 on my computer now. i have the old ssd in the case connected to my computer, and the light comes on the case, but nobody home. The plug and play doesn't play and the computer doesn't see it at all. 
  • Larryodie
    Options
    Are you saying  that your computer is working OK with a new SSD ? 
  • Helenejg
    Options
    yes, windows is working great. But it appears I can’t get any files from the old one.