CAREFULLY Thermal Repasting and cleaning but ssd not detected :( PH315-53-5634.

Options
OnlySight
OnlySight Member Posts: 6 New User
edited July 2022 in Predator Laptops
Hello. Upon reading the situation, I think our situation are the same. I hope you fan help me.

My unit was PH315-53-5634.

The Story: My Laptop was running hot so I changed the thermalpaste CAREFULLY. Nothing damaged. I also cleaned the motherboard with a soft brush. I remove the ssd and hdd. After I cleaned the unit, i put everything back as if nothing happen (just cleaner). I was greeted with Predator Logo Loop and not detected SSD on the bios. As seen from my bios, Optane with raid is enabled. I am skeptical whether the unit is on Raid all along.

The problem: i tried switching it to AHCI and my ssd wouldnt read. 

I hope this is the solution I was looking for. Is there any chance it is?

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

Best Answer

• OnlySight
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just to give an update, the problem was FIXED :smile:

I sent the unit to a Acer Service Center and they were not able to fix the problem because they didn't even check my unit.

I sent the unit to a third party Service Provider and they check unit and found out that there was no power delivered to the M.2 Slot. After detaching and reconnecting the ribbon cables, they were able to fix the problem. 

Thank you for everyone that answered my inquiry. Although you just brought fear that my laptop may be bricked xD, they may be the possible causes of why the laptop isn't functioning right. But please maybe next time, lets start with the basics (like reattaching the cables) before concluding some hardware is faulty. Just remember that not everyone has a clumsy hands that could break stuff. :wink:

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,557 Trailblazer
    Options
    There is a special procedure to switch to AHCI.  You risk losing everything on the drives trying to change it without following this special procedure.

For now, it must be kept in RAID mode or optane with Raid mode. This is the correct mode for this laptop.

If SSD is not detected in BIOS INFORMATION then it  was improperly re-inserted in its mainboard socket or it was inserted while the battery pack was still connected to the mainboard. Not disconnecting battery pack can damage the mainboard or SSD if this is not done.

You must disconnect the battery pack  and re-seat the SSD into the socket and try it again.

Jack E/NJ

• OnlySight
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I properly insert the SSD to the mainboard socket. I also ensures that before removing the storage devices, I disconnect the battery. And after the cleaning, i put the storage devices back first before connecting the battery.

Yet, that is still the case. The SSD was still not detected.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited July 2022
    Options
    OnlySight said:
    I properly insert the SSD to the mainboard socket. I also ensures that before removing the storage devices, I disconnect the battery. And after the cleaning, i put the storage devices back first before connecting the battery.

Yet, that is still the case. The SSD was still not detected.
    See this guides "6 Methods to Fix No Bootable Device on Windows 11, 10" if none of those steps and fixes work then your last option is to disconnect the bios battery and the main battery and leave them disconnected for 15 min and reconnect and boot the laptop up and see if it recognizes the boots drive? If not then your boot drive is faulty and you must have damaged the drive or the M.2 mobo socket is faulty/damaged or this actual drive was on its way out or the mobo socket was the same, as I've had a SATA secondary drive mobo socket on a brand new Nitro laptop  not work the first time I connected a 2.5" drive to it and it got damaged and it didn't work with doing a simple connection as they are very delicate and uselessly minute and get damaged very easily and also, you always have to wear a static wrist band so that static doesn't damage any components inside your laptop.   
  • OnlySight
    Options
    I have connected a new m.2 nvme drive, yet the ssd didnt show on the bios.
  • JackE
    Options
    Please post a phone photo of BIOS Information screen with everything connected.

Jack E/NJ

• OnlySight
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just to give an update, the problem was FIXED :smile:

I sent the unit to a Acer Service Center and they were not able to fix the problem because they didn't even check my unit.

I sent the unit to a third party Service Provider and they check unit and found out that there was no power delivered to the M.2 Slot. After detaching and reconnecting the ribbon cables, they were able to fix the problem. 

Thank you for everyone that answered my inquiry. Although you just brought fear that my laptop may be bricked xD, they may be the possible causes of why the laptop isn't functioning right. But please maybe next time, lets start with the basics (like reattaching the cables) before concluding some hardware is faulty. Just remember that not everyone has a clumsy hands that could break stuff. :wink:

• JackE
    Options
    Thanks for  report.

Jack E/NJ