Is There a BIOS recovery method for Aspire XC-886?

CrisCors1984
CrisCors1984 Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi everybody. 

I hope I can find help...and maybe a solution here. 

My Desktop-PC (Acer XC-886) was working (almost) properly (only a SMART error about data-HDD). 

Win11 Home is/was running. I saw a optional update of Firmware. So I selected this, reboot...another roboot...now nothing. 

Fan is on, but Monitor (via HDMI) is black, USB-mouse is on (red LED is on) but USB-keyboard do not seem to work (normally the LED of NUM-pad is on and can be switched, right? But this is always off). 

I've tried, what billsey said/wrote (manay thanks so far):

billsey said:
BIOS Recovery
When you boot up the computer and you hear one long beep, followed by a shorter one, the system BIOS is damaged. This may be caused by an interruption during a BIOS flash procedure (e.g. a power outage) or a corrupted BIOS code, which will cause the system to go into an unbootable state. You need to access and execute the boot block program to reboot the computer and recover the regular BIOS code.
Note the following when restoring the BIOS settings:
  • Make sure the computer is connected to a UPS unit during the BIOS recovery process, a power failure can leave it unrecoverable.
  • The BIOS recovery media should be prepared in a computer running the Windows OS. A USB flash drive can be used.
Creating the BIOS Crisis Recovery Disk
  1. Set up a computer running the Windows operating system and connect the BIOS recovery media.
  2. Copy the target BIOS ROM file to the BIOS recovery media and rename it as “RCVBOOT.CAP”.
  3. Eject the BIOS recovery media from the computer.
Performing a BIOS Recovery
  1. Shut down the system with failed BIOS.
  2. Put the BIOS ROM file (it may exist at \ROM\xxx.CAP) to a USB storage.
  3. Rename BIOS ROM file to RCVBOOT.CAP (i.e. P11-A0.CAP to RCVBOOT.CAP)
  4. Plug the USB storage to the system.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the system. The system will now execute the BIOS recovery process. You will hear a long beep followed by a short beep.
  6. Select Proceed with flash update to start recovery. NOTE This procedure is only applicable when the boot block section is still valid.
  7. Wait for the program to finish with the recovery.
  8. Flash update completed.
  9. Press any key to reboot system.
  10. The BIOS recovery is now completed.

I've also followed instructions egydiocoelho wrote (thanks by the way). 

For example, if your computer came with version R01.AX, you must download that version. Also, the flash drive has to be formatted in fat32 and converted to mbr, like this:
diskpart
list disk
sel disk x
clean
convert mbr
create partition primary
format fs=fat32 quick
assign
active

That flash of USB drive is on and blinks few times but than nothing happens. Monitor black, keyboard "black", long-beep followed by short-beep and than nothing. 

Please, help me!!!

Very much thanks in advance. 
Chris 

Answers

• Jeyam
    Jeyam Member Posts: 348 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @ CrisCors1984
    Continue holding the Fn + Esc keys and press the Power button. Continue holding the Fn + Esc keys for approximately 5 sec. The blue AC power light on the laptop should start blinking and the USB stick will light up which will hopefully indicate your BIOS is being recovered.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    edited July 2022
    You likely just need to actually get into the BIOS and do a reset. The versions that Microsoft push out with Windows Update often aren't even close to the right setting. Do you see the splash screen on the monitor when you power up? If so press and hold the DEL key as you turn it on and you can probably get the BIOS launched before it fails.
    If the splash screen does not show at all then you are likely right that you will need to recover the stock BIOS. The filename RCVBOOT.CAP is likely not the correct one for your model, since those names tend to be model specific. Try it without renaming the file first. You also might be able to get into the EFI shell, where you can install the BIOS using the procedure shown in the docs for the BIOS.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.