Acer Apire tc 605 boot order?

Options
TRENT43
TRENT43 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

guys on my Acer Aspire tc 605 im installing fresh version of windows,since im installing a new ssd and  ill be scraping my hdd. Ive got windows on my usb ,which ill use to install windows 10. My question is do i need need to change boot order  to my usb? After installing windows do i need to change boot order back to my ssd? Thanks for help!

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @TRENT43
    You do not need to change boot order in BIOS to boot from USB drive. Since the installation of Windows will be a just a one time deal, I'll leave the boot order in BIOS untouched, so don't need to change it back later.

To boot from USB drive, hold down Fn key and keep tapping the F12 key ( for other keyboards, just keep tapping F12 will do it) when bootup. This will bring you to the Boot Menu, if your USB drive is bootable, you can select to boot from there.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,437 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options
    If the Fn F12  or F12 key does not work then be sure to Enable the Boot Menu or some bios have an Enable F12 key . then reboot using the Fn F12 or F12 key.  
  • TRENT43
    TRENT43 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    Larryodie said:
    If the Fn F12  or F12 key does not work then be sure to Enable the Boot Menu or some bios have an Enable F12 key . then reboot using the Fn F12 or F12 key.  
    so if i have to change boot order do i go back in and change order again to boot from ssd?

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @TRENT43
    Like I said, you don't need to change Boot Order for this one time Windows installation.

For your knowledge, if you want to change Boot Order in BIOS in the future, hightlight the 2nd Boot Device and hit enter, hit the up arrow to move it to the 1st Boot Device ( just use this picture provided by @Larryodie as an example), and then hit F10 to Exit and Save.

If you want something else as the 1st Boot Device, do it in a similar way once you have the Windows installation done. Once again, using the Boot Menu selection will be good enough for your case. 
  • Larryodie
    Options
    After you enable, the boot mode, then you have to F10, Exit and Save,
    Then reboot with a Fn F12 or F12 key to change the boot order.
  • Larryodie
    Options
    Here is the way that I do mine on TC895-UA92
    Tap DELETE to get into Bios
    Enable Boot Menu in Bios
    F10, Save and exit.
    Reboot using the F12 key or Fn F12 key
    Then change your boot to the plugged in USB device.\
    F10, Save and Exit '
    Reboot and install WIndows from the USB

Note some Bios have F12 enable instead of Boot Menu enable, 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Options
    Boot Order isn't really used at all in this situation. When you open the Boot Menu using F12 (or Fn-F12) you are given a list and you just choose the Windows install flash drive as a one time boot source.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Options
    In all due respect, if you don't do a F12 Enable or Boot Enable, then F12 won't work. Once you enable it then it will stay enable you change it. 
    Here is the Boot Menu.