My Nitro 5 model: AN515-57-720A can't access the recovery partition.

Options
Onixel
Onixel Member Posts: 1 New User

Greetings ladies and gentlemen, 

the part number of my above mentioned laptop is NHQEQSV004 and has an issue with the system recovery, whenever I try doing it, I get a (status_wait_2 0x80070002) error.
As for the system restore I also can't do it and get a (To use System Restore you must specify which Windows installation to restore) error.
You may ask why am I trying to factory reset my laptop, and that's because it's a second hand acquisition, everything works perfectly on it, except that originally this model came with Windows 11 but the previous owner meddled with it and installed Windows 10 on it and forgot to install most of the original drivers and programs that usually come with a recent Nitro 5.
So I tried to make a factory reset hoping the laptop would come off as clean as when it was first taken out its box, as you may already know it didn't do it, so I went to check on the SSD through disk management, and I indeed found a recovery partition, an EFI partition, BUT to my great surprise I also found two chunks of unallocated spaces! One of nearly 4GB and one of merely a few MBs.
I then used a third party software to see if these unallocated spaces previously contained any files whatsoever, and yes they actually did.
But I couldn't go further than this as my knowledge is pretty limited and any reckless attempt in repairing all this without help could result in severe system damage.

With that said, I’m hoping someone could help and guide me through this brain teaser.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,032 Trailblazer
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Onixel said:

the part number of my above mentioned laptop is NHQEQSV004 and has an issue with the system recovery, whenever I try doing it, I get a (status_wait_2 0x80070002) error.
    As for the system restore I also can't do it and get a (To use System Restore you must specify which Windows installation to restore) error.
    You may ask why am I trying to factory reset my laptop, and that's because it's a second hand acquisition, everything works perfectly on it, except that originally this model came with Windows 11 but the previous owner meddled with it and installed Windows 10 on it and forgot to install most of the original drivers and programs that usually come with a recent Nitro 5.
    So I tried to make a factory reset hoping the laptop would come off as clean as when it was first taken out its box, as you may already know it didn't do it, so I went to check on the SSD through disk management, and I indeed found a recovery partition, an EFI partition, BUT to my great surprise I also found two chunks of unallocated spaces! One of nearly 4GB and one of merely a few MBs.
    I then used a third party software to see if these unallocated spaces previously contained any files whatsoever, and yes they actually did.
    But I couldn't go further than this as my knowledge is pretty limited and any reckless attempt in repairing all this without help could result in severe system damage.

With that said, I’m hoping someone could help and guide me through this brain teaser.

This is just my advice to you so you can do whatever you want? I've got a Nitro 5 AN515-56 laptop and I did a "Clean Install" of Win-11 Home that works 100% and perfectly. Forget about Resets and Restores as its not the solution with Win-10 and upgrades to Win-11!

The best solution for you (make sure you backup all your valuable data before doing what I'm suggesting) is for you to do a "Clean Install of Win-11". To do this download the Windows 11 Installation Assistant at Download Now onto an 8GB USB then on another USB download the Acer specific "IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver" v18.6.1.1016.2 have that ready, then boot the laptop through Win-10 at "Advanced Startup" and proceed for the laptop to boot from the USB to the Win-11 installation software, go through the installation process and do the following: 

1. Once you have deleted all partitions and proceed with the installation you will see that the install will not recognize your boot drive and will ask you for a drive 

2. Plug the other USB and install the "IRST "(Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Drivev18.6.1.1016.2" as this driver will make the installation recognize the boot drive, 

3. Continue with the installation of Win-11 as that will wipe all previous data and will clean install Win-11 on your AN515-56. 

4. Then proceed with the Win-11 installation and also and when its finished, do all the "Windows Updates" and after these updates finish have a look at the "Device Manager" and see which drivers were not updated?

5. If you have any DM drivers that were not updated then go to the Acer AN515-57 Manual & Drivers site and download all the OEM Acer drivers for your laptop which should update everything. 

6. After all this is done, install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and run this scan and update all drivers to their latest official Intel drivers, this is after all windows and Acer drivers were 100% installed and DM is all up to date and has no exclamation marks next to any drivers, do the same with the Nvidia graphics drivers for this laptop, as and after you do all this you will have a completely new "Clean Install" specific for your AN515-57 and you won't get any of the inherited problems that your laptop has.

Note: the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant Scan" for the AN515-56 and 57 has a problem with the Intel NEW Win-11 Bluetooth driver(s) so don't update to the latest Intel BT drivers keep the original  Acer BT v22.40.0.2 installed as the new Intel BT drivers don't work (this is what I've found with my AN515-56) and using the Acer OEM v22.40.0.2 drivers for BT and Wi-Fi works 100% and perfectly while the new Intel drivers don't work for BT at all or any of my headphones (JBL) and earbuds also.

Good luck and hope this helps you out as all the above is exactly what I've done with my brand new out of the box AN515-56 that had the Acer installed Win-10 Home and I updated it to a “Win-11 Home Clean Install” and it works perfectly and 100% with no issues and also and btw, Win-11 is a great OS.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,032 Trailblazer
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Onixel said:

This is just my advice to you so you can do whatever you want? I've got a Nitro 5 AN515-56 laptop and I did a "Clean Install" of Win-11 Home that works 100% and perfectly. Forget about Resets and Restores as its not the solution with Win-10 and upgrades to Win-11!

The best solution for you (make sure you backup all your valuable data before doing what I'm suggesting) is for you to do a "Clean Install of Win-11". To do this download the Windows 11 Installation Assistant at Download Now onto an 8GB USB then on another USB download the Acer specific "IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver" v18.6.1.1016.2 have that ready, then boot the laptop through Win-10 at "Advanced Startup" and proceed for the laptop to boot from the USB to the Win-11 installation software, go through the installation process and do the following: 

1. Once you have deleted all partitions and proceed with the installation you will see that the install will not recognize your boot drive and will ask you for a drive 

2. Plug the other USB and install the "IRST "(Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Drivev18.6.1.1016.2" as this driver will make the installation recognize the boot drive, 

3. Continue with the installation of Win-11 as that will wipe all previous data and will clean install Win-11 on your AN515-56. 

4. Then proceed with the Win-11 installation and also and when its finished, do all the "Windows Updates" and after these updates finish have a look at the "Device Manager" and see which drivers were not updated?

5. If you have any DM drivers that were not updated then go to the Acer AN515-57 Manual & Drivers site and download all the OEM Acer drivers for your laptop which should update everything. 

6. After all this is done, install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and run this scan and update all drivers to their latest official Intel drivers, this is after all windows and Acer drivers were 100% installed and DM is all up to date and has no exclamation marks next to any drivers, do the same with the Nvidia graphics drivers for this laptop, as and after you do all this you will have a completely new "Clean Install" specific for your AN515-57 and you won't get any of the inherited problems that your laptop has.

Note: the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant Scan" for the AN515-56 and 57 has a problem with the Intel NEW Win-11 Bluetooth driver(s) so don't update to the latest Intel BT drivers keep the original  Acer BT v22.40.0.2 installed as the new Intel BT drivers don't work (this is what I've found with my AN515-56) and using the Acer OEM v22.40.0.2 drivers for BT and Wi-Fi works 100% and perfectly while the new Intel drivers don't work for BT at all or any of my headphones (JBL) and earbuds also.

Good luck and hope this helps you out as all the above is exactly what I've done with my brand new out of the box AN515-56 that had the Acer installed Win-10 Home and I updated it to a “Win-11 Home Clean Install” and it works perfectly and 100% with no issues and also and btw, Win-11 is a great OS.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    Shut machine off. Turn it back on and immediately tap F2 to enter the BIOS menu, Check to make sure the D2D option is enabled in the BIOS MAIN tab.

Then shut the machine off again. Turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If the original factory recovery partition is still accessible (often it isn't after changing the operating system), a factory reset menu should appear. If it doesn't appear, it's probably no longer usuable. If however the machine was purchased in the US or Canada, you can usually order the original factory Windows installation stick based on the machine's serial number id(SNID) from the ACER store for about $40-50.

Also, these days it's not at all unusual to find small(GB scale) and tiny(MB scale) GPT partitions of unallocated space after a drive has been re-sized and mangled to accomodate another OS. .

Jack E/NJ