Thinking of adding a second SSD to Helios 300 - what do I need

Options
tvr4
tvr4 Member Posts: 52 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
I have a Helios 300 and am thinking of adding a second SSD or whatever it is called to the laptop.  I was going to use an old hard disk but am so impressed with the SSD speed that I am considering that.

What exactly do I look for?   I know there are different capacities but I can decide on that later.  But for now I am thinking about 1TB or larger

Do I need a special bracket or whatever to install this?

Thanks

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,778 Pathfinder
    Options
    @tvr4 you can either add another M.2 SSD (NVMe or SATA) to the second m.2 slot or add a 2.5-inch SSD. Your PH317-55 already has a 2.5-inch bracket installed. You just need screws and the cable to connect the drive that can be found in the accessory box. If you cannot find them, you can go with getting the M.2 SSD or buy the cable and screws from the online store.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • tvr4
    Options
    Is there any benefit of interface type?  Will the cable support both?
    I tried to get the cable and screws a few months ago and it was not available
  • KanagawaTomasu
    KanagawaTomasu Member Posts: 152 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I got an Acer (Brand) Predator GM7000 NVMe SSD. I got the 1 terabyte version. (You can also get 2 TB)
    Got it on Amazon. Price was around $130.00.  I like it. It is FAST. It has it's own DRAM Cache (RAM).
    It has the word PREDATOR printed on the device. (Matches your laptop, if you worry about such things.)
    I am very happy with the purchase. Recommend it to you.

I have 2, 1 TB, (Gen 4) NVMe Drives.  (The original, which is by Samsung and the Acer Predator, which I installed.)

There is another slot on your system board. It has a screw. (There is one in there, already.) (No need for the SATA Cable.)  There are plenty of YouTube videos about how to install an addition M2 NVME drive. Even Acer has one.

You have a great selection to choose from. I suggest you want Gen 3 or Gen 4. (Gen 4 is newer, But Gen 5 is now out on some very new PC Models.) Gen 3 will be a lot cheaper but slower. For instance, if you get a Gen 3 M2NVMe drive, you may be able to afford a 2 TB version, rather than a 1 TB version of the newer Gen 4 NVMe drive. ("slower" is relative. You may not be able to tell the difference in performance.)

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Cheers!

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    Options
    @tvr4

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below.  The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below.  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .  Please chose the options and try it.  It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide.  We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options.  You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.          

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • tvr4
    Options
    That upgrade scanner tool is excellent.  I like to see options and then decide

I was going to use a hard drive from my old computer until I looked at the manufacturing date and found it was 2015. 
    I did not want to use a hard drive that old.

I will look at the crucial upgrades.  Thanks
  • tvr4
    Options
    Those videos are EXCELLENT.  I am going to save them

Thanks!
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    Options
    @tvr4

You are Welcome! 

Please visit the website given below.  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .  Please chose the options and try it.  It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• tvr4
    Options
    @KanagawaTomasu
    Thank you so  much for the info.  Since that one you mentioned is fairly recent I will look from there. 
    I don't think I could tell the difference between that and the gen5 in performance.
    But I would definitely be able to tell the difference on the wallet

Thanks!

• KanagawaTomasu
    KanagawaTomasu Member Posts: 152 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    At the present, most of what you can find is Gen 3 and Gen 4. My new Predator M2 Drive is Gen 4.
    There are plenty to choose from wherever you shop.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Cheers!
  • tvr4
    Options
    I finally settled on the Acer Predator GM7000 NVMe SSD 1TB Version.  It is fast and works great.

Installation was quick and easy, after I figured out where the slot was
    Thanks everyone
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I advise enabling trim command and disabling fast startup in power options.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • tvr4
    Options
    I advise enabling trim command and disabling fast startup in power options.

Would that be Power Options in settings?
    What are those settings for?  The laptop works great out of the box 

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• tvr4
    Options
    I did the check and Trim Command is enabled on both my SSD

I can not find that power option in Windows 11 for Fast Startup
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Look in the windows mobility center.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer