Aspire XC Desktop XC 1660 upgrade?

Options
Towcobra
Towcobra Member Posts: 8 New User
Hi need advice on a possible upgrade?

I am looking at an Aspire XC Desktop XC 1660 and have 2 questions.
Can I fit an XFX R7950 Ghost graphics card (and assuming its better than whats already installed in the packaged 1660) and an additional Sata HDD? Appreciate your help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    What PCIe GPU card do you have in their now since the package depends on where you bought it. Packaged cards usually consumed less than 200watts max with the standard 300watt PSU. The XFX is about 250watts max. It'll likely fit but you may have to go to a bigger power supply.

You should have two m.2 SATA SSD card sockets and three 3.5" HDD/SSD sockets on the mainboard. So yes you should be able add another m.2 SSD or 3.5" HDD or SSD

Jack E/NJ

• Towcobra
    Options
    Many thanks, I have not bought it yet so unaware of PCle card options. I have a "Be Quiet" power supply ( I think 650W) so should be ok there. Which PCle card should I go for - if there are options?
  • JackE
    Options
    (1) When did you purchase this machine?
    (2) Which PCIe expanision card do you have in there now if any?
    (3) Expand Device Manager Display adapter folder. Post screenshot if possilbe.

Jack E/NJ

• Towcobra
    Options
    Hi Jack E/NJ.  I have not bought this PC yet, I need to know the answer to my questions before I buy because the purchase depends on the answers being positive.
    1. Have not bought it yet.
    2. What card options are available with this pc, I do not know sorry.
    3. Unable due to not yet having this pc.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I have not bought it yet so unaware of PCle card options. I have a "Be Quiet" power supply ( I think 650W) so should be ok there>>>

Then how do you know it's equipped with a 650watt power supply? It might be best if you can post the link to the xc1660 ad you're looking at because the vendors can sell the machine with or without an optional GPU card . In other words,  not all desktops sold as a xc-1660 series are the same. 

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Towcobra

I think XC-1660 series use 12 volt only PSU ( 6-pin to the motherboard). Assuming you have a spare 650W Be Quiet, this is most likely a standatd ATX type with 24-pin connector to the motherboard, so it may not fit the XC-1660.
  • Towcobra
    Options
    I have the power supply currently in my existing broken PC which is also an Acer ATX type.

So surely the XC-1660 being an Acer ATX board should use the same 24 pin plug. The "Be Quiet " PS Model No. BQT L7-630W has multiple outputs 12v being one of them.
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @Towcobra

I always suggest you to get a brand new computer with better config.. 

Please visit the website – support.acer.com – chose your country – click on shop.   It will show you all the latest and new computers.    You can see all the models from low end to high end configurations.   You can look at all the models one by one.   Please chose the best one which suits your budget and needs.   You can also buy desktop, laptop, monitor and accessories. 

Alternatively,  on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.   If you need more details you can call and check with them.

Regarding the hdd upgrade..   Once you get the computer you can always ran the scan and check it.. 

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below.  The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below.  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .  Please chose the options and try it.  It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide.  We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options.  You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.          

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JackE
    Options
    >>>So surely the XC-1660 being an Acer ATX board should use the same 24 pin plug. The "Be Quiet " PS Model No. BQT L7-630W has multiple outputs 12v being one of them. >>>

The main problem is the available PSU space inside the case. This desktop is usually equipped with a 300watt PSU that complies with the specifications for a Micro ATX system case. The ATX connector is 6-pin. The ATX-12volt is 8-pin. Once again, It might be helpful if you can post the link to the xc1660 ad you're looking at because the vendors can sell the machine with or without an optional GPU card . In other words,  not all desktops sold as a xc-1660 series are the same.

Jack E/NJ

• Towcobra
    Options
  • JackE
    Options
    I think you can get a good feel for the actual physical size of the microATX case from the ad. While you should confirm that the 1030 nvidia card is what you'd actually get (the small print suggests it might be different regionally), it is likely a similar low profile low power (30watts) card. I really don't think there's enough room to stuff a much bigger more powerful regular profile card, at least  that can be supported by the meager stock 180watt PSU.  As I mentioned before, you probably can stuff the bigger 300watt PSU in a 1660 case to run a more powerful GPU, but not a lot more. This is not by any stretch even close to having as much room and potential power of a normal desktop that you're probably more familiar with. Sorry I can't  be more enthusiastic.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    I responded in your other thread but the two big issues for choosing a compatible GPU is the physical size (you need a low profile card to fit the case) and the power (the XC-1660 models ship with a 300W or 500W supply, the 500W is only included in the models that have a discrete GPU). The one you link seems to have a smaller PSU that the SG lists, a 220W, so it wouldn't work with most GPUs without a power upgrade, and the 12VO supplies are really only easily found as spare parts from the manufacturer.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • handpanman
    handpanman Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

What is the best gpu you can fit in a Xc 1660