Nitro 5 Cannot access BIOS

chaoborid
chaoborid Member Posts: 4 New User
edited June 2022 in Nitro Gaming
I have a dual-boot Acer Nitro 5 that I typically boot directly into Linux Pop!_OS. After upgrading Pop!_OS, my boot order changed and it now boots directly into Windows. Neither F2, Fn-F2, nor Alt-F2 on boot opens the BIOS to change the boot order; however, F12 opens a Boot Manager where I can select the Pop!_OS installation I want to boot up. But I can't change the order--I can only select the OS to boot up. The right-arrow suggestion from the F12 Boot Manager does nothing (sometimes it's apparently used to access the BIOS; but it doesn't work here). My question is, how can I access the BIOS to change the boot order when these standard procedures don't work?

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• Jeyam
    Jeyam Member Posts: 348 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @ chaoborid
    Have you tried Al + F10 while booting the device. If yes, please go to advanced options and select UEFI firmware settings to access BIOS
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,895 Trailblazer
    chaoborid said:
    I have a dual-boot Acer Nitro 5 that I typically boot directly into Linux Pop!_OS. After upgrading Pop!_OS, my boot order changed and it now boots directly into Windows. Neither F2, Fn-F2, nor Alt-F2 on boot opens the BIOS to change the boot order; however, F12 opens a Boot Manager where I can select the Pop!_OS installation I want to boot up. But I can't change the order--I can only select the OS to boot up. The right-arrow suggestion from the F12 Boot Manager does nothing (sometimes it's apparently used to access the BIOS; but it doesn't work here). My question is, how can I access the BIOS to change the boot order when these standard procedures don't work?

If you can boot into windows then go to Recovery > Advance startup and you can access the bios like that and change the "Boot priority order" to 1st and the Linux Pop!_OS but, you shouldn't be going into the bios as in the Nitro 5 there is very little settings that need changing and also try just pressing F12 to get into the bios. I've got a Nitro 5 and with windows 11 the F2 or F12 does nothing (btw I've enabled the F12 feature in Main > F12 Boot Menu) and the same happens but the bios is accessible through windows very easily which you can do also.
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• chaoborid
    Thank you for the suggestion. Pressing Alt-F10 on startup, something that looks like it might be a BIOS screen flashes on the screen (too fast to tell if it is a BIOS screen) before it boots into a Windows panel which provides access to an advanced option to set UEFI firmware settings, which then restarts the computer--but it then hangs on the opening Acer logo. Any other suggestions?
  • chaoborid
    StevenGen said:
    chaoborid said:

If you can boot into windows then go to Recovery > Advance startup and you can access the bios like that and change the "Boot priority order" to 1st and the Linux Pop!_OS but, you shouldn't be going into the bios as in the Nitro 5 there is very little settings that need changing and also try just pressing F12 to get into the bios. I've got a Nitro 5 and with windows 11 the F2 or F12 does nothing (btw I've enabled the F12 feature in Main > F12 Boot Menu) and the same happens but the bios is accessible through windows very easily which you can do also.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, when I restart from the Recovery > Advanced Startup > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI Firmware Settings > Restart, it hangs on the Acer logo on reboot. I've also tried a Linux command, sudo systemctl reboot --firmware, but the same thing happens: it hangs on the Acer logo on restart. Pressing F12 on startup allows me to choose PopOS, and it starts up fine from there. But so far I haven't been able to change the boot order. Any other suggestions?
  • chaoborid
    Jeyam said:
    Hi @ chaoborid
    Have you tried Al + F10 while booting the device. If yes, please go to advanced options and select UEFI firmware settings to access BIOS
    Yes. I can get to the point where I have to restart; but then it hangs with the Acer logo on reboot. Same thing when I use F2 on restart, or when I try to access the BIOS from Linux with sudo systemctl reboot --firmware. It always hangs on the Acer logo when starting up. However, when I use F12, I can choose the OS I want to run. Just trying to set the boot order, but can't seem to do it.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,895 Trailblazer
    chaoborid said:
    Jeyam said:
    Hi @ chaoborid
    Yes. I can get to the point where I have to restart; but then it hangs with the Acer logo on reboot. Same thing when I use F2 on restart, or when I try to access the BIOS from Linux with sudo systemctl reboot --firmware. It always hangs on the Acer logo when starting up. However, when I use F12, I can choose the OS I want to run. Just trying to set the boot order, but can't seem to do it.
    Do everything through windows as the Nitro 5 laptops are designed for windows and not Linux and allot of these Nitro 5's dual boots with Linux have lots of problems and corrupted bios's! Disassemble the back cover disconnect the battery and the bios battery wait 5 min and then reconnect both batteries, this will reset the OS including the bios, when rebooting wait until the bios resets as it will take about 1 min so be patient and you should be able to boot into the laptop and have access to the bios but, get into the bios through "Recovery > Advanced Startup" in windows.