New CP513-1H-S7ML only useable in guest mode

Options
ClydeTheGlide
ClydeTheGlide Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 2022 in Chromebooks
Hi everyone,

New owner of the above, on attempting setup it prompted me to input our Wi-Fi password....then it goes to a page saying it cannot connect to the internet (it's connected) and saying I can only browse as a guest (which works but obviously no use long term).

Tried hard reset but on turning back on it goes straight back to the message I describe above. Tried 4 different internet providers, same thing each time. Chrome says it's up to date.

Ideas, good people?

Would hate to take it back to John Lewis because it looks/feels like a good unit (and also because I'm a bit lazy). 

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    If you have tried it with multiple WiFi networks the issue is likely to be either with the WiFi card or the OS load. Which Spin 513 model it is? It should be something like CP513-xxx-xxxx and the model number is usually on the same sticker as the SN and SNID. My guess is the OS load is corrupted and you could potentially fix it by doing a manual upgrade to the latest image Google has. If it's an issue with the card itself then it's likely easier to either swap it out with your vendor (and let them deal with sending to Acer for repair) or starting a ticket with Acer support and letting them fix it for you.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ClydeTheGlide
    Options
    billsey said:
    If you have tried it with multiple WiFi networks the issue is likely to be either with the WiFi card or the OS load. Which Spin 513 model it is? It should be something like CP513-xxx-xxxx and the model number is usually on the same sticker as the SN and SNID. My guess is the OS load is corrupted and you could potentially fix it by doing a manual upgrade to the latest image Google has. If it's an issue with the card itself then it's likely easier to either swap it out with your vendor (and let them deal with sending to Acer for repair) or starting a ticket with Acer support and letting them fix it for you.
    Hi, it's a CP513-1H-S7ML.

I'm not very computer literate so unsure what you mean by upgrade to the latest image Google has?
  • billsey
    Options
    Here are the instructions from Google. You will do the remove/reinstall process to make sure the OS isn't the problem. If things work right after doing that you are good to go, if not then it's time for the notebook to take a trip to Acer for repair.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ClydeTheGlide
    Options
    billsey said:
    Here are the instructions from Google. You will do the remove/reinstall process to make sure the OS isn't the problem. If things work right after doing that you are good to go, if not then it's time for the notebook to take a trip to Acer for repair.
    Thanks for this. I had put in a call to Acer support and (long story short) they decided it's kaput and gave me a code to give to John Lewis. 

When I dropped it to John Lewis this afternoon they just gave me a new one and checked that it worked before leaving, which it did.

Using it now, happy.

Thanks again for trying to help.
  • billsey
    Options
    Good to hear! :)