CP314-1HN-C2X2 Error while disabling write protection via flashrom.

Robert123
Robert123 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited June 2022 in Chromebooks
Hi to whoever is watching this. I want to disable write protection and as I noticed that my CP314-1HN-C2X2 that it doesn't have the screw and instead uses CR50 (Battery). As I disconnect the battery and load the system in developer mode and entering the following command: Shell, Sudo sh, Flashrom --wp-disable, I get this error: w25_disable_writeprotect(): error=1. No matter what screw I disconnect on the motherboard, It won't fix the problem. Is there a way to fix it or is there another way to remove write protection if needed. Help ASAP would be lovely, thank you.

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    >>>I want to disable write protection >>>

On what device? What does acronym CRSO mean? What screw are you trying to turn? Sounds very digitally complex to me?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Acer doesn't show a write protect disable option on the CP314-1HN models.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Robert123
    billsey said:
    Acer doesn't show a write protect disable option on the CP314-1HN models.
    But how will I access the bios?
  • Robert123
    JackE said:
    >>>I want to disable write protection >>>

On what device? What does acronym CRSO mean? What screw are you trying to turn? Sounds very digitally complex to me?
    CR50 is the write protection on the battery. On a Acer Chromebook Spin 314.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    What does acronym CRSO stand for? Batteries don't have write protection. A lithium coin cell battery usually keeps the BIOS firmware memory intact. Chromebook BIOS firmware is read only memory (ROM) and not meant to be user modified. An eeprom programmer device is needed.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    CR50 (note 5 not s) is the firmware installed on the H1 chip in a Chromebook. The equivalent to a BIOS.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.