Computer Repairing A Drive That Isn't There

Options
Doomotron
Doomotron Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
On my Acer Predator I am getting the 'scanning and repairing drive' screen. This is scary but what is strange is that it is repairing a drive that doesn't exist. I have three drives in the computer, C, D and E. The screen is saying it's repairing drive F. I have two USB sticks installed but why would it want to repair them at start up? Assuming it is trying to repair a USB stick, that is. One of the USB sticks I know to be a bit broken, could that be the cause of the issue?

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,812 Pathfinder
    Options
    @Doomotron do you have the screenshot of Disk management? Post it here for better visualization.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Doomotron
    Doomotron Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
    Options
    It's the boot screen and it said 'Scanning and repairing drive F'. Luckily, it was the bad USB stick that was the cause of the issue so no harm done. I still find it weird that Windows 11 tries to repair an unneeded and empty USB stick before starting the OS. Even weirder is that Windows 8 doesn't do it even if I have an actual failed hard drive plugged in.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yup, it trying to mount the filesystem on the flash drive, finding issues and trying to fix them before presenting F: to you in the OS. Just unplug the flash drive and get yourself a replacement that works.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.