Acer Swift 1 - SF114-32 - Bricked after BIOS update

Options
Mando_ayyy
Mando_ayyy Member Posts: 6 New User
edited June 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
Title summarises it. Was upgrading it and bring it to windows 11 and updated the bios from 1.11 to 1.15. Update was 'successful', showed Acer logo then showed black screen with no backlight. Sat like this for 20 minutes then restarted using the battery disconnect. Still doesen't boot to anything, BIOS or otherwise.

Tried using insyde revovery tools and some methods (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4-0cALAg64 and https://www.bios-mods.com/bios-recovery/insyde-bios-recovery/. both of which call for ripping a bios image (.fd or .bin) and an .exe, loading it onto a blank usb and holding FN+Esc) but no luck. 

Really don't want to have to ship it off for recovery, since it is long out of warrenty and wouldn't be worth the money.

Thanks in advance for the help, Mando.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Did the logo appear after the update? Can you access the bios? Can the image be displayed using an external monitor?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Mando_ayyy
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Nope. Keyboard backlight turns on but the screen never turns on. The only other sign of life is that it beaps when I plug it in to the wall. I'll give the external monitor a go asap
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Nope. Keyboard backlight turns on but the screen never turns on. The only other sign of life is that it beaps when I plug it in to the wall. I'll give the external monitor a go asap
    Title summarises it. Was upgrading it and bring it to windows 11 and updated the bios from 1.11 to 1.15. Update was 'successful', showed Acer logo then showed black screen with no backlight. Sat like this for 20 minutes then restarted using the battery disconnect. Still doesen't boot to anything, BIOS or otherwise.

Tried using insyde revovery tools and some methods (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4-0cALAg64 and https://www.bios-mods.com/bios-recovery/insyde-bios-recovery/. both of which call for ripping a bios image (.fd or .bin) and an .exe, loading it onto a blank usb and holding FN+Esc) but no luck. 

Really don't want to have to ship it off for recovery, since it is long out of warrenty and wouldn't be worth the money.

Try to disconnect the RTC battery (which is the bios battery) see No3 in the diagram below as this is the mobo diagram for your SF114-32:

If not do the "BIOS Recovery for your SF114-32" but be very careful as not knowing how to apply and do these steps will do damage that I can't take any responsibility for! If this doesn't work then get an experienced tech that has the proper micro soldering equipment to change your bios chip to a new reflashes to the last bios v1.15 bios if you can get one?

• Mando_ayyy
    Options
    StevenGen said:

Try to disconnect the RTC battery (which is the bios battery) see No3 in the diagram below as this is the mobo diagram for your SF114-32:

If not do the "BIOS Recovery for your SF114-32" but be very careful as not knowing how to apply and do these steps will do damage that I can't take any responsibility for! If this doesn't work then get an experienced tech that has the proper micro soldering equipment to change your bios chip to a new reflashes to the last bios v1.15 bios if you can get one?

I tried both the external display and the the battery disconnect, no luck on both. I've been trying to follow your steps here on creating a crisis disk, but I'm having trouble tracking down a .fd file to use on it. I extracted the contents of the v1.15 update exe, but the closest I could find was a .bin, but trying that doesn't seem to do anything.

Do you know where I could track one down or convert some other file (like that .bin) into a .fd?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Try renaming the .bin file as .fd.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mando_ayyy
    Options
    billsey said:
    Try renaming the .bin file as .fd.
    Tried this, no dice too. Is there something I should rename the file itself to? This manual here (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/440295/Acer-Aspire-E1-531.html?page=67#manual) mentions renaming the file to Q5WV1X64.FD, though I'd assume that this name was machine specific. Any clue what it'd need to be named?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options
    StevenGen said:

I tried both the external display and the the battery disconnect, no luck on both. I've been trying to follow your steps here on creating a crisis disk, but I'm having trouble tracking down a .fd file to use on it. I extracted the contents of the v1.15 update exe, but the closest I could find was a .bin, but trying that doesn't seem to do anything.

Do you know where I could track one down or convert some other file (like that .bin) into a .fd?

See this guide "How to Extract bios fd file from acer bios download from site” or look at all the other guides here "how to extract the .fd file from an Acer bios .exe file" as this is all that you need and then follow the exact steps of the "Acer BIOS Recovery" steps above but and as I've said you need experience to do this and if you don't have then do it at your risk as I must warn you about that. 

• Mando_ayyy
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:

See this guide "How to Extract bios fd file from acer bios download from site” or look at all the other guides here "how to extract the .fd file from an Acer bios .exe file" as this is all that you need and then follow the exact steps of the "Acer BIOS Recovery" steps above but and as I've said you need experience to do this and if you don't have then do it at your risk as I must warn you about that. 

So I did the youtube one and found that the filename should be... BIOS.fd or 00007007,9.fd. Very underwhelming and annoying at the same time. Going to give it a go soon, will keep you updated.

The BIOS.fd name comes from the 1.01v BIOS, here. If you look at the FD#01 line, the second last item is BIOS.fd

The v1.15 release however says that the name should be 00007007,9.fd. 

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Mando_ayyy
    Options
    Just tried the .fd files with both names, nothing with either :(

Thank you guys for the help, but I think it really is bricked. I know I said I didn't want to bother with sending it in to acer, but I'll see how much it is and go from there. Thank you all so much for the help
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you converted usb drive to mbr and formatted it to fat32?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer