upgrading ram for Aspire XC-886

MartinLeeSG
MartinLeeSG Member Posts: 6 New User
My computer currently has 8gb DDR4 SDRAM. I think the motherboard has 2 slots and max ram is 32gb.
If I want to upgrade the ram, does it make sense (and will it work) if I buy a 16GB ram to add on to the 8gb that I have currently?

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    My computer currently has 8gb DDR4 SDRAM. I think the motherboard has 2 slots and max ram is 32gb.
    If I want to upgrade the ram, does it make sense (and will it work) if I buy a 16GB ram to add on to the 8gb that I have currently?
    If you want to do that make sure that its the same spec timing ram and install CPUz to find that out at sections Memory and SPD. As the official Acer listed spec ram for the XC-886 and recommended upgrade specs for ram is as follows:
    • 32 GB max into its 2x slots at DDR4 2666MHz or 2400MHz at 288-pin DIMM's but, I would install the software to run the Crucial System Scan as modern ram can be more and its based on the cpu's specs of the Intel 9th Gen cpu that your XC-886 has as the 9th Gen max Intel spec is...Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) of up to 128GB at DDR4-2666MHz as your XC-886 could take 64GB max or more, so run this scan as it will tell you all the appropriate ram specs and max ram that your XC-886 will run competitively and it will work. 
    • Also Acer states this; you can install memory modules in any combination of 4Gb, 8Gb and 16GB as long as they match the specifications, which means that if you have 1x 8GB and add new 1x 16GB it will work but NOT in dual channel and it has to be of the same timing specs.
    • As "Dual Channel" is enabled when you plug in 2x of the same memory size/timing of DDR4 compatible memory modules as dual channel is far more efficient than single channel ram for gaming, editing etc and will give you the best performance of your desktop. Its up to you?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    If you want to do that make sure that its the same spec timing ram and install CPUz to find that out at sections Memory and SPD. As the official Acer listed spec ram for the XC-886 and recommended upgrade specs for ram is as follows:
    • 32 GB max into its 2x slots at DDR4 2666MHz or 2400MHz at 288-pin DIMM's but, I would install the software to run the Crucial System Scan as modern ram can be more and its based on the cpu's specs of the Intel 9th Gen cpu that your XC-886 has as the 9th Gen max Intel spec is...Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) of up to 128GB at DDR4-2666MHz as your XC-886 could take 64GB max or more, so run this scan as it will tell you all the appropriate ram specs and max ram that your XC-886 will run competitively and it will work. 
    • Also Acer states this; you can install memory modules in any combination of 4Gb, 8Gb and 16GB as long as they match the specifications, which means that if you have 1x 8GB and add new 1x 16GB it will work but NOT in dual channel and it has to be of the same timing specs.
    • As "Dual Channel" is enabled when you plug in 2x of the same memory size/timing of DDR4 compatible memory modules as dual channel is far more efficient than single channel ram for gaming, editing etc and will give you the best performance of your desktop. Its up to you?