Transfer of DVD/CD writer from old computer to new one Aspire TC-1660

RoMo5
RoMo5 Member Posts: 2 New User
Is it possible to move the DVD/CD writer from an Aspire XC-780 desktop to an Aspire TC-1660. The brackets etc., came with the new computer.

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @RoMo5

As far as I know TC-1660 uses 12 Volt only PSU with 6-pin connector to the motherboard, while XC-780 uses the standard 24-pin type to the motherboard. You need special  power cable from the 6-pin connector of the motherboard to the DVD drive. This kind of cable can be the cost of an external DVD drive. I'll say, forget about using the DVD drive and get an external USB DVD drive instead.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    RoMo5 said:
    Is it possible to move the DVD/CD writer from an Aspire XC-780 desktop to an Aspire TC-1660. The brackets etc., came with the new computer.

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)
    Yes but you need a SATA cable as the power cable should be available from your OEM PSU. 
  • RoMo5
    RoMo5 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for your response. The SATA cable is also with the brackets etc., So hopefully I will be able to move the DVD/CD writer. Thanks again for your help.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @RoMo5

As far as I know TC-1660 uses 12 Volt only PSU with 6-pin connector to the motherboard, while XC-780 uses the standard 24-pin type to the motherboard. You need special  power cable from the 6-pin connector of the motherboard to the DVD drive. This kind of cable can be the cost of an external DVD drive. I'll say, forget about using the DVD drive and get an external USB DVD drive instead.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I think that your power cable should be the standard pig tails.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    If you do decide to put the drive into your new TC-1660 and the SATA power cable isn't included in the case or in the box, the part number is 50.VQED3.001 and as ttttt suggests is likely a higher cost than an external USB case for the drive. If your system has a HDD instead of (or in addition to) a SSD then the cable should already be installed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Larryodie said:
    I think that your power cable should be the standard pig tails.
    My Bad as Billsey stated.