Windows doesn't recognize built in license key

Scubadeb
Scubadeb Member Posts: 1 New User
While my new computer is working, I cannot get the Windows upgrades because Microsoft doesn't recognize the "embedded" license key on the computer.  How do I find out the license key and correct this problem?  There is nothing on the case or documentation.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    You should just need to go to the Settings; System; Activation and activate. It will pull the key out of the BIOS and handle everything for you. No need to type a key in unless you are changing from Windows Home to Pro or Enterprise.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    Scubadeb said:
    While my new computer is working, I cannot get the Windows upgrades because Microsoft doesn't recognize the "embedded" license key on the computer.  How do I find out the license key and correct this problem?  There is nothing on the case or documentation.
    What OS are you running? As and if its a new PC with the Win-11 installed OS only you cant downgrade/activate to Win-10 unless and when you bought this PC and it had Win-10 and had the free option the upgrade to Win-11 like in the new laptop that I've got that came pre installed with Win-10 Home with an option to upgrade to Win-11 as you cant do the reverse. That might be your problem? As I've upgraded my laptop to Win-11 Home and the Win-10 digital key (also you need a registered valid Microsoft account) worked 100% and perfectly and now I'm running Win-11 Home. So give us more details as in the Settings > Activation section as on Win-10 you get a link to an MS site where they explain all the scenarios of how to activate Win-10 while in Win-11 you just get a link called "Get Help" that during this process they will run individual and specific diagnostics of your PC to detect the problem your are experiencing with activation and run some automated steps to try to fix it and give you all the guides to a solution of what exactly your activation problem is to activate Win-11? try all that out as its a simple process if its legit and you didn't just buy a cheap key to a OS?