Touchpad Gestures not working in Aspire E1-572G

lilimrt
lilimrt Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited June 2022 in Aspire Laptops
That's how the story goes: I'm using an Acer System Aspire E1-572G_0776_V2.04
I've had some problems before updating windows. One of them was related to touchpad. All of a sudden Touchpad gestures stopped working. I couldn't scroll, I had to use the bar in the right side of Webpages, pdfs, etc. I couldn't zoom in and out, and other stuff. I could use touchpad to move pointer or double click though.
So, I updated the windows. Now I'm using Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Version    10.0.19044 Build 19044.
The problem still persists. As it was before updating. I searched a little about it and checked, Every thing seems normal to me except one thing. In BIOS menu, main column, There was nothing about touchpad setting.
I took some screenshots I will attach.
Can anyone help me with the problem?

Edited the content to hide sensitive information.

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084
    lilimrt

Try fn + f6 or f6 alone  or  fn + f7 or f7 alone on keyboard to disable and enable the touchpad. 

Please look at the key f6 and f7 key on keyboard .    You can see the hand symbol with fingers .   That denotes the touchpad function key.   On some models it will be on f6 and some models it will be on f7.    So we need to use the right key depending upon the laptop model .   If fn + f7 is not working then we have to use f7 alone to make it to work.     

On some old laptop models there will be a separate button right  next to touch pad area which is below the space bar.  It is used to turn on and off the touch pad.  On some old models it will be right next to power button.   On all new models, f7 key is used to enable and disable the touch pad. 

If you would like to disable and enable the touchpad, please press and hold  fn key on the keyboard and then press f6 or f7 once.    If the touchpad is not getting disabled you can either press f6 alone or f7 alone without holding the fn key.      It is used to enable or disable the touchpad..    

After disabling and enabling the touchpad check how it is working.. 

If it is still not working 
    Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    type snid or chose your model 
    go to drivers - Install the i/o drivers first and then install the touch pad driver 

It should work fine

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    In the Main tab in the BIOS try a CTRL-S to see if any additional functions show up. You are looking for the one that allow Advanced mode for the touchpad.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lilimrt

Tinkerer

lilimrt

Try fn + f6 or f6 alone  or  fn + f7 or f7 alone on keyboard to disable and enable the touchpad. 

Please look at the key f6 and f7 key on keyboard .    You can see the hand symbol with fingers .   That denotes the touchpad function key.   On some models it will be on f6 and some models it will be on f7.    So we need to use the right key depending upon the laptop model .   If fn + f7 is not working then we have to use f7 alone to make it to work.     

On some old laptop models there will be a separate button right  next to touch pad area which is below the space bar.  It is used to turn on and off the touch pad.  On some old models it will be right next to power button.   On all new models, f7 key is used to enable and disable the touch pad. 

If you would like to disable and enable the touchpad, please press and hold  fn key on the keyboard and then press f6 or f7 once.    If the touchpad is not getting disabled you can either press f6 alone or f7 alone without holding the fn key.      It is used to enable or disable the touchpad..    

After disabling and enabling the touchpad check how it is working.. 

Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    type snid or chose your model 
    go to drivers - Install the i/o drivers first and then install the touch pad driver 

It should work fine

Thank you for your reply.
    Sadly f6 - f7, fn+f6, fn+f7 didn't work.
    Touchpad is not totally disabled. Most of gestures don't work.
    I wanted to install i/o driver and touchpad driver. But I couldn't find it in the website. Can you tell me where it is?

• lilimrt

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    In the Main tab in the BIOS try a CTRL-S to see if any additional functions show up. You are looking for the one that allow Advanced mode for the touchpad.

Thank you for your answer.
    I tried this one but nothing happened. No change at all. There is nothing related to touchpad in the main tab.
  • lilimrt

Tinkerer

Is there any other solution, please?
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084
    edited June 2022
    @lilimrt

Sometimes a simple system restore will fix the issue.. 

Try windows x
    click on power shell admin or command prompt admin 
    type rstrui
    chose an earlier date on which your computer was working fine  
    click on next, finish, yes
    It will restore your computer to an earlier date 
    if you get an message - system restore not completed - click on close 
    It will show you all the icons..

Try and check whether it is working now ..

I am sorry that you are not able to see the touchpad driver..

Kindly go through the details from link given below 

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4867?b=1

On the drop down menu of operating system - changed it to Windows 8.1
    Able to see the touchpad driver.. 
    Try to download and install it and check.. 

If it is still not working then we have to do a refresh and reset

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

or 

on start - type here to search - type reset this pc - click on reset this pc on the top  - click on get started 

It will show you keep my files and remove everything
    chose keep my files 
    chose the account - type the password - click on local reinstall - click on reset 
    It will be in progress.. 
    login to computer and start using the computer. 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 
    chose remove everything 
    click on local reinstall - just remove my files - click on reset
    It will be in progress

Note:

If you do refresh ( keep my files ) -  all your personal files like pictures, music , documents , videos  will still be intact.   Only the applications will be lost

If you do reset  ( remove everything )  - you are doing a factory default.   It will become like a day one computer.    It will wipe out everything and take your computer to day one like a new computer. 

You can also do the recovery in an alternative way..

There are two alt keys on the keyboard.  If you look at the bottom row of keyboard you can see the one on the left side of space bar and the other on the right side of space bar.  The alt key on the right side will be looking like alt, alt gr or alt car.  Turn off the computer.  Hold the alt key on the left and tap f10 continuously.   It will go to repair mode.  It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot.   If it is not going to repair mode, turn off the computer.  Turn on the computer.  Hold the right alt key ( alt gr or alt car or alt )  and then tap f10 continuously.  It will go to chose an option continue and troubleshoot..

It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot
    Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc
    click on keep my files  ( only applications will be lost )   chose your account and type your password   - click on local reinstall  - click on reset
    It will be in progress 

If the keep my files option is not working 

Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – just remove my files – click on reset 
    It will reinstall windows. 

If the just remove my files is not working.. 

Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – Fully clean the drive – click on reset 

Note: You can also go to chose an option , continue , troubleshoot by holding the alt key + tapping f10  or alt gr + tapping f10 on the keyboard while turning on the computer.    Once you see the troubleshoot option, you can stop tapping the f10 and stop holding the alt key.    Then you can try the keep my files and remove everything ( just remove by files and fully clean the drive ) by following the steps which was mentioned above. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• lilimrt

Tinkerer

@lilimrt

Sometimes a simple system restore will fix the issue.. 

Try windows x
    click on power shell admin or command prompt admin 
    type rstrui
    chose an earlier date on which your computer was working fine  
    click on next, finish, yes
    It will restore your computer to an earlier date 
    if you get an message - system restore not completed - click on close 
    It will show you all the icons..

Try and check whether it is working now ..

I am sorry that you are not able to see the touchpad driver..

Kindly go through the details from link given below 

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4867?b=1

On the drop down menu of operating system - changed it to Windows 8.1
    Able to see the touchpad driver.. 
    Try to download and install it and check.. 

If it is still not working then we have to do a refresh and reset

or 

on start - type here to search - type reset this pc - click on reset this pc on the top  - click on get started 

It will show you keep my files and remove everything
    chose keep my files 
    chose the account - type the password - click on local reinstall - click on reset 
    It will be in progress.. 
    login to computer and start using the computer. 

chose remove everything 
    click on local reinstall - just remove my files - click on reset
    It will be in progress

Note:

If you do refresh ( keep my files ) -  all your personal files like pictures, music , documents , videos  will still be intact.   Only the applications will be lost

If you do reset  ( remove everything )  - you are doing a factory default.   It will become like a day one computer.    It will wipe out everything and take your computer to day one like a new computer. 

You can also do the recovery in an alternative way..

There are two alt keys on the keyboard.  If you look at the bottom row of keyboard you can see the one on the left side of space bar and the other on the right side of space bar.  The alt key on the right side will be looking like alt, alt gr or alt car.  Turn off the computer.  Hold the alt key on the left and tap f10 continuously.   It will go to repair mode.  It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot.   If it is not going to repair mode, turn off the computer.  Turn on the computer.  Hold the right alt key ( alt gr or alt car or alt )  and then tap f10 continuously.  It will go to chose an option continue and troubleshoot..

It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot
    Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc
    click on keep my files  ( only applications will be lost )   chose your account and type your password   - click on local reinstall  - click on reset
    It will be in progress 

If the keep my files option is not working 

Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – just remove my files – click on reset 

If the just remove my files is not working.. 

Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – Fully clean the drive – click on reset 

Note: You can also go to chose an option , continue , troubleshoot by holding the alt key + tapping f10  or alt gr + tapping f10 on the keyboard while turning on the computer.    Once you see the troubleshoot option, you can stop tapping the f10 and stop holding the alt key.    Then you can try the keep my files and remove everything ( just remove by files and fully clean the drive ) by following the steps which was mentioned above. 

Thanks for the time you have spent to write such a long and comprehensive answer.
    I downloaded one of the touchpad drivers suitable to the windows 8.1 as you mentioned and it worked.
    Thank you so much