Why is the - Aspire 5 A515-56 A 1 thousand dollar paper weight?

CIeetZ
CIeetZ Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
I thought I was getting a good deal on this i7 'iris xe' . Screen randomly just glitches out and gets all pixelated. And I see I'm not the only person with this problem, and I also see that Acer staff just dont bother replying to the posts. Its just sad. Multi billion dollar company, yet I spent all the money I have to buy this laptop and of course its not under warranty and now I'm just stuck with it. Feel good about Yourself Acer? I'm going to try re-applying thermal paste, see if that makes any difference I guess

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Drivers appear in optional windows updates:

Is the problem still occurring? Have you tried updating the drivers using the iobit driverbooster program? I advise using this program only in extreme cases. Disable all the useless programs that iobit asks to install and then run the driver scan.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Hi! Before disassembling the laptop and voiding the warranty, check the bios version:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • CIeetZ
    You guys say You fixed it with a bios update so I just updated the bios and I'm going to apply thermal paste, although it cant be overheating because I have it set up where its being cooled ( and not by some super turbulent, disruptive cooling pad ) Its just got a fan blowing at it from behind and I get active temp readings and it doesnt get very hot anymore. I can only imagine how many times it overheated by the person I bought it from before though who probly didnt know any better about what to do about it.
  • Can you send a photo of the problem? Does this problem also occur in the bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• CIeetZ
    Hi! Before disassembling the laptop and voiding the warranty, check the bios version:

F*** off bro. As if Acers best hardware support doesnt even F***ing speak english. You think I give a F*** about warranty. Its obviously past the year long warranty period A**hole. I dont get expect to get reimbursed. I just want to expose Acer as the scammers they are. Selling people a laptop they KNOW was going to do this. Because nobody puts a machine through a 'grace' testing period, and doesnt realize this is the quality of the madchine. I upgraded the bios and it doesnt NOTHING. To ANYBODY reading this, dont BUY this machine, its a piece of S***
  • CIeetZ
    You are better off getting another brand of computer with a 660 NVidia for the same price like maybe the older Samsung models for example
  • CIeetZ
    sorry I apologize I didnt see that You also replied in English and of course I cant edit posts on here cause this website layout is apparently made to cause frustration, similar to the quality of product You get when buying an acer a515-56. I didnt expect You to reply in 3 languages when I asked the question in english. I kind of doubt anyone needs a spanish response when the question wasnt asked in Spanish. Seems like a fair deduction no? Yes I updated the bios, no I dont know if this also happens "in the bios" . What does that even mean? Like I should hang out in the bios for a couple days and see if it happens? The computer is a lemon. Period
  • CIeetZ
    Updated the bios and its still happening. $600 in the garbage
  • If the issue does not occur in the BIOS, it may just indicate a software issue. Now if the issue also occurs in the BIOS then it is definitely a hardware issue. When you connect an external monitor, is the screen also pixelated on the external monitor? I understand your frustration. However, all manufacturers suffer from a few lemons.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    edited June 2022
    CIeetZ said:
    I thought I was getting a good deal on this i7 'iris xe' . Screen randomly just glitches out and gets all pixelated. And I see I'm not the only person with this problem, and I also see that Acer staff just dont bother replying to the posts. Its just sad. Multi billion dollar company, yet I spent all the money I have to buy this laptop and of course its not under warranty and now I'm just stuck with it. Feel good about Yourself Acer? I'm going to try re-applying thermal paste, see if that makes any difference I guess
    WOW CIeetZ, we appreciate that you are "Chheezzz Offff" but, being abusive and using profanities as your means of language and communication is just NOT on and it won't fix your $600, as I though you said that its a thousand dollar paper weight? there is a big difference between 600 and 1,000  o:)

First, what OS are you running? Is it Win-10 or 11? As blaming Acer if you don't know how to setup a laptop (which you don't) is useless and easy to do. As far as I can gather, the bios update didn't do it for you so go to the next step and install "Intel® Driver & Support Assistant" as this will also update the Iris Xe graphics and update your AN515-56 to all the latest Intel drivers for your AN515-56 also update the windows that you are running to all its latest updates. Try that before blaming and/or using abusive language (as doing all that won't fix your laptop as this is an Acer community and NOT ACER remember this "CIeetZ" as we are all here to help each other!!! Cheers and calm down and take it easy :D
  • CIeetZ
    If the issue does not occur in the BIOS, it may just indicate a software issue. Now if the issue also occurs in the BIOS then it is definitely a hardware issue. When you connect an external monitor, is the screen also pixelated on the external monitor? I understand your frustration. However, all manufacturers suffer from a few lemons.
    yeh it is. the distortion transfers to the exteran monitor as well.
  • CIeetZ
    *update* the computer still glitches and freezes but since updating the bios my youtube videos now wont load
    (y)
  • CIeetZ
    well thanks for Your time and effort everyone replying. I just assumed windows update would get the latest drivers for Me but apparently it didnt get everything. Download assistant grabbed a graphics and a wifi driver which after installing, has YouTube working again. Will update if the glitching still continues or not and I'll try and be more respectable with it and less heated. I was just drunk when I replied before, only human.
  • CIeetZ
    StevenGen said:
    CIeetZ said:
    WOW CIeetZ, we appreciate that you are "Chheezzz Offff" but, being abusive and using profanities as your means of language and communication is just NOT on and it won't fix your $600, as I though you said that its a thousand dollar paper weight? there is a big difference between 600 and 1,000  o:)

First, what OS are you running? Is it Win-10 or 11? As blaming Acer if you don't know how to setup a laptop (which you don't) is useless and easy to do. As far as I can gather, the bios update didn't do it for you so go to the next step and install "Intel® Driver & Support Assistant" as this will also update the Iris Xe graphics and update your AN515-56 to all the latest Intel drivers for your AN515-56 also update the windows that you are running to all its latest updates. Try that before blaming and/or using abusive language (as doing all that won't fix your laptop as this is an Acer community and NOT ACER remember this "CIeetZ" as we are all here to help each other!!! Cheers and calm down and take it easy :D
    It WAS 1 thousand dollars when released like what, a year and a half ago. I dont see many other laptops depreciating that much in just a year. Most of them typically hold their value quite well. Wonder why. Thanks for Your time and effort Ya I think I was drunk when I made those replies anyways and why would I need driver support assistant, doesnt windows update automatically grab them? I dont recall having to update a computer to stop it from malfunctioning, that must be a new feature exclusive to Acer. Ya setting up a laptop isnt rocket science but apparently building them with respectable parts is
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Drivers appear in optional windows updates:

Is the problem still occurring? Have you tried updating the drivers using the iobit driverbooster program? I advise using this program only in extreme cases. Disable all the useless programs that iobit asks to install and then run the driver scan.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• CIeetZ
    *update* thanks again for the help. I have had it freeze twice in a few days which isnt so bad. Upon inspecting the CPU under the heat sink, I found that the laptop came with entirely too much thermal paste. It had about 10-20 times the amount one should use to create the heat sink barrier to cool the cpu. It was legit a huge pile of goop in there, and was also fairly dried out. Less of a paste and more of a putty at that point. Got it cleaned out and repasted, and temperatures seem fairly stable now in the mid 50s to high 60s at high load. Since repasting and making sure I had the heat sink screwed in nice and tight to create an air tight barrier, it hasnt frozen yet. If it does I will run that iobit driver booster and get back to You. Peace
  • CIeetZ
    *Update* computer hasnt froze since properly re-applying the thermal paste. I also rigged it so it has air blowing up into it which seems to be helping with the heat. The youtube videos still wont load and ive done everything I can think of, which makes me think the hardware is bad. What a poor experience overall. Cant believe people keep these past warranty and then sell it in this state. I'd sooner smash it to pieces which I probably will when I get frustrated enough at this performance. Cheers
  • CIeetZ said:
    *Update* computer hasnt froze since properly re-applying the thermal paste. I also rigged it so it has air blowing up into it which seems to be helping with the heat. The youtube videos still wont load and ive done everything I can think of, which makes me think the hardware is bad. What a poor experience overall. Cant believe people keep these past warranty and then sell it in this state. I'd sooner smash it to pieces which I probably will when I get frustrated enough at this performance. Cheers
    What happens when you disable hardware acceleration in browsers?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• CIeetZ
    *UPDATE* . I think I FINALLY may have hit a breakthrough here. Big Shoutout to egydiocoelho for recommending iobit Driver Download Program. To anyone who is having issues with their laptop, I HIGHLY recommend it. Intel Driver Download Assistant said I was up to date on drivers, but iobit said I had 26 drivers that needed updating. After updating, BOOM , Youtube started working again instantly. HOWEVER. Take it SLOW when installing iobit driver download assistant. It has little 'check' boxes to install other programs, which respectively is how they make their money. You can get Your drivers updated by them for free, but if You dont take Your time when installing and read everything carefully, You will install programs You dont need or want. Thanks again so much for the help everyone I am now fully content with this laptop ( for now ;}} ). Any issues in the future and I'll be back here to continue this thread. Apologies again for the rash comments higher up, but hopefully people make it down this far