Aspire E15 E5-523G-NV95 suddenly died. Won't start again.

Kev_techo
Kev_techo Member Posts: 6 New User
edited June 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hey everybody, thanks for reading my question.
I'm a little stumped on this one (or don't want to believe the truth...)
My laptop died while it was asleep and I cannot start it.
Battery seems fine, power seems fine. I've gone through a few 'youtube' vids on the problem (& skipped the vids that seemed dodgy, but took note of what they were trying to achieve) and have checked most parameters, including grounding pin 27 on the M'board to simulate the keyboard 'power' button.
Of course this has happened while I'm on an overseas holiday, away from my tools. I'll buy a multimeter tomorrow to check rail voltages.
If anyone has a schematic or even identify the DC-DC voltage converters/locations, that would put me on the moon!
Any ideas? I'll appreciate any at this stage.

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,475 Trailblazer
    edited June 2022
    (1) Unplug charger
    (2) Press and hold power buttong for about 5 seconds. No power or battery LEDs should be lit
    (3) Gently insert and press a paperclip into battery disconnect pinhole on bottom for about a minute
    (4) Plug charger back in BUT don't try to turn the laptop on till---
    (5) Battery charge LED has turned from blinking orange or steady orange to steady blue. This may take several hours
    (6) Only after battery charge LED is steady blue, then try to turn it on again.

Jack E/NJ

• Kev_techo
    Thanks for getting back to me Jack E - much appreciated.
    I've gone through that procedure. Battery light is orange when I first plug the laptop in and then turns blue within a couple of seconds - indicating to me that the battery/power circuit is ok - battery is charged/charging and the power circuit is working.
    I've also opened the case and removed the battery altogether and pressed that button just as a matter of course. (another attempt was to hold the 'on button for a minute') - hoping to remove any seed power on the MB. Noting that sometimes this model also has keyboard failures, hence the grounding of pin 27 on the keyboard connector to simulate the 'on button' being pressed.
    I've also removed the MB and removed the BIOS battery, and shorted the contacts on the MB to also remove any residual power (Possibly from capacitors that would be in circuit) not actually believing this would work, but thought I'd give it a go as it wouldn't harm anything.
    I've also left it totally disconnected from any power source for a few hours, also in an attempt to remove any seed power. Reassembled and tested with same symptons (nothing) and going through the processes which you have kindly outlined for me.
    The only life it seems to have is the battery light. Which hasn't been in the blinking orange state at all.
    Thoughts?
  • Kev_techo
    Just further to the above, my wife has an identical laptop. I've swapped power supplies (in case that might hav been a problem) and in the interest of 'Happy Wife' i'm loathe to start swapping other items/parts between the two laptops :wink:
  • JackE
    As long as you gone this far pulling it apart you might check the flat ribbon cable (FFC) connection to the power button board.

Jack E/NJ

• Kev_techo
    Thanks for that Jack E.
    Yes, I had stripped the MB out and powered it without anything connected, then went through the process of connecting one thing at a time, without success.
    I see in that troubleshooting flow chart you sent, the next step is replace the MB.
    I'm going further than that type of troubleshooting. I'm going down to componentry level replacement/troubleshooting. (Well, the best I can without a great deal of tools) I am a techo, and have knowledge/training/equipment to do SMD replacement (no equipment while on holidays, but I am innovative)
    I'll get a multimeter today and test rail voltages on the motherboard.
    You wouldn't happen to have a schematic for the ZAB model MB would you? 
    And for convenience, the specific Laptop version is:
    Aspire E15 E5-523G-NV95

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>You wouldn't happen to have a schematic for the ZAB model MB would you? >>>

Full board schematics are available for downloading from 3rd party sources for about $20usd. Rough schematics are usually free. Google search e5-523g motherboard diagram for others

Jack E/NJ

• Kev_techo
    Thanks Jack E, I appreciate your time.
    I got a multimeter today and it shows that the 1V, 3.3V & 5V rails are working. So the problem goes deeper than that.
    I guess I'll bite the bullet and replace the MB.
    Cheers,
    Kev
  • JackE
    Plenty of Aliexprees vendors in the $100 range  Older mainboards are often warehoused stateside so deliveries can be less than about a week if you're still in US. I'm using a brand new netbook one right now in my reply here. A whopping $24.80 with free shipping from KY. :)

Jack E/NJ

• Kev_techo
    I reside in Australia, but am currently in Indonesia.
    I'll have to change the MB when I get back to Oz.