Acer Predator Helios 300 p317-54-70r5 will not power on

Options
mtkinsac
mtkinsac Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 2022 in Predator Laptops
Hi I have a p317-54-70r5, I had actually sent this in to support for this issue, they returned it sayng the battery was not fully plugged in. Come to this morning, it was doing it again. I tried holding the power button for over a minute multiple times. Finaly I just decided to look myself sice my warranty is up. I open up the case removing all the screws carefully using a flat head screwdriver to pop up the case carefully. Got inside no obvious  anything disonnected or loose, but still no dice. Finally I decided to disconnect the battery since no battery reset to be found. I plugged back in power, opened case pressed power button wahla woks. Powered off, plugged back in battery connector wahla works just fine on AC or battery now.

WHY DID YOU REMOVE THE BATTERY RESET PINHOLE!!! It would have saved me 4 hours (the fix only took 20 mins to open, fix and close) and a fight with my wife about my time, thanks earnestly Acer. Maybe reconsider getting a "REAL" power button too, so we dont have to question whether it is a defective keyboard as part of troubleshooting.

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    Options
    mtkinsac said:
    Hi I have a p317-54-70r5, I had actually sent this in to support for this issue, they returned it sayng the battery was not fully plugged in. Come to this morning, it was doing it again. I tried holding the power button for over a minute multiple times. Finaly I just decided to look myself sice my warranty is up. I open up the case removing all the screws carefully using a flat head screwdriver to pop up the case carefully. Got inside no obvious  anything disonnected or loose, but still no dice. Finally I decided to disconnect the battery since no battery reset to be found. I plugged back in power, opened case pressed power button wahla woks. Powered off, plugged back in battery connector wahla works just fine on AC or battery now.

WHY DID YOU REMOVE THE BATTERY RESET PINHOLE!!! It would have saved me 4 hours (the fix only took 20 mins to open, fix and close) and a fight with my wife about my time, thanks earnestly Acer. Maybe reconsider getting a "REAL" power button too, so we dont have to question whether it is a defective keyboard as part of troubleshooting.

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Yep those are all part and parcels of modern laptops unfortunately, btw you are not the only one as the same thing has happened to me on a brand new Nitro 5 laptop and if this happens the first thing (especially if there is no reset feature) allot of people advise you to press the "Power Key" for 12 seconds to reset the battery (which doesn't work) but and due to the effort and expertise needed to open and fiddle around with disconnecting these internal batteries. Manufacturers do not advise consumers to open and fiddle with internal parts, as you can cause severe damage.

What you have done is the only preliminary cure that a consumer can do to power on problematic laptop that doesn't power on and that is to disconnect the battery and in some extreme cases even the BIOS battery also and if this doesn't work? Then its either a DC post/cable or a power board problem or in more extreme cases, its an internal chip/circuitries problem on the mobo that is shortening out that needs diagnosing by and experienced tech, which manufacturers do not bother to have in their service departments, as they just replace components e.g. like mobos, batteries and screens etc as manufacturers can't afford to have an experienced technicians spending hours on diagnosing and/or fixing and replacing chip components as some mobos/laptops are beyond fixing and as they have probably hundreds of these products on their lists, so take that into consideration as Acer is not the only manufacturer out there that run their service department like that.