Aspire 5 a515-43-r19l suddenly started vibrating one day, fans at 100?

Weirdosu
Weirdosu Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited June 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hello, My laptop model is a aspire 5 a515-43-r19l that i bought on 2020 from amazon and i have an issue that's bothering me
one day out of nowhere, the pc started "vibrating" as the fans would go faster, out of fear something might had broke, I shut it off and let it rest for a while
never had this issue until now
then the next day, booted up the laptop as usual, I don't move it out the table, I treat it as if it were a desktop computer, even have a fan on my side giving fresh air to the laptop
opened discord, even did game a little, the usual of everyday and the fans wouldn't go that fast even if i was gaming
Finished the gaming and went to watch videos on youtube and talk on discord

then the fan started spinning real fast again, like if it was getting hot
Quickly checked the cpu temp on the task manager and it was 45 - 52°c
It wasn't hot, there's a fan next to the laptop blowing cold air
checked task manager to see if there was anything unusual, like a virus or cryptominer
I ran a complete windows defender antivirus scan and it detected nothing, why is the fan doing this? It makes the whole laptop vibrate and it concerns me, I fear i may break it if i keep using it
kept the laptop ON to see if the fans would return back to normal, and they did, but every once in a while they go back to spinning fast again

the pc can get harmed if i keep using it that way?
do i need to open the laptop and clean it?
there's a way to access the fan control to put it to run on a static speed? like uefi or bios
As i said, the pc has a lot of ventilation and it isn't even getting hot, even if i game on it
It never happened to me before, until now.. and it has me worried, I don't have the money to afford a new laptop
don't know what it might be at this point...

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Paste should be fine. It should stay pliable/flowable for best heat transfer. This is normal maintenance and should be done yearly if you're a heavy gamer.

The fan should be changed as a bearing has failed or rotor or blade piece broken off. Google search part no. 23.HEFN2.001 for vendors who ship to your location. This is a common fan used in many Aspire5 and Aspire3 models. Price less than about $20usd.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    As long as it doesn't overheat it's should be OK.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    >>>never had this issue until now>>>

Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. If System Protection is turned on in the box that pops up, click System Restore button. Click next. Do you see an automatic update restore point with a date stamp that about when the fan started vibrating at high speed?

Jack E/NJ

• Weirdosu

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. If System Protection is turned on in the box that pops up, click System Restore button. Click next. Do you see an automatic update restore point with a date stamp that about when the fan started vibrating at high speed?

I ended up opening the laptop and re-applying thermal paste, and cleaning the vents
    I see that the faulty part here is the cooler... it works but seems like the fan has "lost" balance?
    I might need to replace it... but don't know where to buy a new one
    the fan is the one causing the vibrations
    Still does his job of pulling hot air from inside to outside

It is dangerous to use the pc like this?
  • Weirdosu

Tinkerer

edited June 2022
    Weirdosu said:
    JackE said:

I ended up opening the laptop and re-applying thermal paste, and cleaning the vents
    I see that the faulty part here is the cooler... it works but seems like the fan has "lost" balance?
    I might need to replace it... but don't know where to buy a new one
    the fan is the one causing the vibrations
    Still does his job of pulling hot air from inside to outside

It is dangerous to use the pc like this?
    Also how much thermal paste did i need to apply? When i opened it the old paste was all over the socket, removed it and i applied mine only above the CPU then let the pression of the plate spread all over it, it should dry once heat starts building up right?

The paste i applied was "HALNZIYE HY510"
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Paste should be fine. It should stay pliable/flowable for best heat transfer. This is normal maintenance and should be done yearly if you're a heavy gamer.

The fan should be changed as a bearing has failed or rotor or blade piece broken off. Google search part no. 23.HEFN2.001 for vendors who ship to your location. This is a common fan used in many Aspire5 and Aspire3 models. Price less than about $20usd.

Jack E/NJ

• Weirdosu

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Do you recommend gaming in this state? 
    I have refrained from doing it for fear of damaging the laptop
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    As long as it doesn't overheat it's should be OK.

Jack E/NJ