Acer Aspire 5 A514-52KG won't charge and no power / lights showing

adamoc1
adamoc1 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited June 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hi, I am having difficulty with my Aspire 5 laptop. Checked the charger / adapator and they are OK, the laptop isn't showing any power, lights aren't working. I have tried the reset pin underneath but no luck. I did take it to an Acer store , hadn't been able to turn it on for two days. In the store the guy pressed the power and it came on OK, we checked battery and it said all good, the only anomaly was he couldn't get the battery icon to show in the navigation bar at the bottom. Acer guy said everything else seems fine and closed it down for me. I've not been able to get it back on since and can't find anything similar online - any help mwould be massively appreciated.

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Take it back to the ACER store.

Jack E/NJ

• adamoc1
    JackE said:
    Take it back to the ACER store.
    Yes will do, though it's no longer under warranty so will have to pay i guess to resolve. Thanks.
  • JackE
    >>>Acer guy said everything else seems fine and closed it down for me. I've not been able to get it back on since>>>

I don't understand? What do you mean by this? Did the Acer guy say it was fine or NOT fine?

Jack E/NJ

• adamoc1
    Yes, the guy in store pressed power button and it worked fine, ran some diagnostic and said all looks ok and shut the laptop down. When I tried to repower at home it wouldn't turn on. Since then I've been able to open it up one more time and was working ok for about three hours, battery 77%, yesterday evening.
    It's now back to not showing any signs of charging or power and won't turn on again.

acer aspire a512kg about two years old.
  • JackE
    (1) Do you see a battery disconnect pinhole with a battery symbol on the bottom of the laptop?

(2) There are dozens of Aspire 5 models. Which do you have? For example, A515-54g?

Jack E/NJ

• adamoc1
    Hi JackE , thanks for the help, it's as below, I've tried the battery reset pin on reserve. The laptop will turn on, if left alone for indeterminate time, around a day. It will stay on and charge for couple of hours and battery showing full then loses power and won't turn on, no power or charge lights again 

Aspire A514-52KG

Model Name: A514-52KG

Part Number: NX.HL5SP.002

• Jeyam
    Jeyam Member Posts: 348 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    adamoc1 said:
    Hi JackE , thanks for the help, it's as below, I've tried the battery reset pin on reserve. The laptop will turn on, if left alone for indeterminate time, around a day. It will stay on and charge for couple of hours and battery showing full then loses power and won't turn on, no power or charge lights again 

Aspire A514-52KG

Model Name: A514-52KG

Part Number: NX.HL5SP.002

I guess since the device is idle it's going to sleep mood. How many light you see on the side of the laptop. If the charger is connected and if there is 2 lights on the side, then laptop is on and it's on sleep. Give a long Press on power button for 3sec until one light goes off and then turn on the laptop.
  • adamoc1
    Hi jeyam, thank you. When it closes off there is no power, no charging lights, it seems completely dead. If i try long power button press or battery reset pin nothign happens, I leave it, say over night or a prolonged period of time, without charging and then it usually reacts and comes back to life when pressing power button. It's as thougha connector or somethign is loose, battery power seems ok, when i run care center when it eventually turns on all says fine. battery not drainign quickly, i'm lost as to why it is powering off and 'dying'  and needs 12 to 24 hours before it will react to any prompting.
  • JackE
    (1) With the machine turned off, unplug the charger.  No LEDs should be lit.
    (2) Gently insert and press paperclip into battery reset pinhole for 60seconds.
    (3) Plug charger back in.
    (4) Do not attempt to turn machine on until battery charge LED turns on and changes to steady blue. This may take up to 24 hours.

Jack E/NJ

• adamoc1
    JackE said:
    (1) With the machine turned off, unplug the charger.  No LEDs should be lit.
    (2) Gently insert and press paperclip into battery reset pinhole for 60seconds.
    (3) Plug charger back in.
    (4) Do not attempt to turn machine on until battery charge LED turns on and changes to steady blue. This may take up to 24 hours.
    Thank you very much jackE, i will try this.