A515-51G-58VH battery does not charge while gaming

mxthevs
mxthevs Member Posts: 3 New User
I have an A515-51G-58VH that has no problems with charging the battery while being used to browse the web, edit documents, etc.

The problem is when I start to play games or do some heavy work in general: the battery stops chargingeven though the cable was never unplugged. The issue is that performance drops a lot when I need it the most, making it almost impossible to do some performance-heavy tasks.

If I unplug the cable and plug it in again, it charges the battery for a few seconds (20/30 seconds max) and then stops charging.

Close the game -> battery starts charging

I've had this model since 2018 but only have been hit with this issue recently :/

What I tried:
  1. Uninstalling the battery drivers and restarting Windows.
  2. Pushing the pin at the bottom 
  3. Replacing the battery with a new one
I have not tried replacing the charger; because it works perfectly while not gaming. Apart from being the charger's fault, I have no ideas about what could be causing this.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,434 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>And is there a way to prevent/change this behavior? If I want it to be charging all the time.>>>

Only way is with a higher power charger. You probably have a stock 65 watt charger. So a universal 90 watt laptop charger would probably help do what you want under heavy loads. About $25usd

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    This is normal behavior under heavy power demands when the battery must help the charger. During those times, the battery is actually discharging even though plugged in. Once the battery drops below about the 50% charge level, charging the battery takes precedent over the CPU/GPU power demands. Performance will then drop due to less power available for the CPU/GPU. To regain performance, gaming or high power demand applications must stop to allow the battery to re-charge back to 100%. At which time, gaming can then resume until once again the battery charge level drops below about 50%. 

Jack E/NJ

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    @mxthevs do the light indicators blink when you start playing games?
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • mxthevs
    @JackE said:
    This is normal behavior under heavy power demands when the battery must help the charger.
    And is there a way to prevent/change this behavior? If I want it to be charging all the time.

AnhEZ28 said:
    do the light indicators blink when you start playing games?
    Yes, they do. One blink in orange, the other in blue.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>And is there a way to prevent/change this behavior? If I want it to be charging all the time.>>>

Only way is with a higher power charger. You probably have a stock 65 watt charger. So a universal 90 watt laptop charger would probably help do what you want under heavy loads. About $25usd

Jack E/NJ

• mxthevs
    @JackE said:
    This is normal behavior under heavy power demands when the battery must help the charger.
    And is there a way to prevent/change this behavior? If I want it to be charging all the time.

AnhEZ28 said:
    do the light indicators blink when you start playing games?
    Yes, they do. One blink in orange, the other in blue.