Aspire XC-830 How many of You are a affected as I am about the cpu issues of upgrading to Windows 11

Options
mandawg
mandawg Member Posts: 23 Networker
edited June 2022 in Windows 11
Thought I'd just start a general gripe and complain topic about how many of us with a bit older computers and having the cpu issue with installing Windows 11. I have 4 other computers that are far exceeding this brand new Laptop tiny 64watt power supplied Acer Aspire XC-830-UW91 I just bought(nicknamed it lapdesk lol). My Lenovo's and HP computers all have i5 5th generation 3.6ghz processors with 32 gb of ram. Microsoft says "NOPE" You cannot upgrade to Windows 11 due to your cpu's! But yet this crappy J4125 2.0gz one qualifies rofl.  How many millions and millions and millions of computers will have to be discarded because of this issue?

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Comments

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,808 Pathfinder
    Options
    @mandawg I see that the Celeron J4125 is listed as a compatible CPU for Windows 11 upgrade: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors. Did you get that unsupported CPU in the PC health check?
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • AlexSucks
    AlexSucks Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Enev though you may have a supported CPU, you may also not have TPM 2.0, which is required to run windows 11.
  • mandawg
    Options
    AlexSucks said:
    Enev though you may have a supported CPU, you may also not have TPM 2.0, which is required to run windows 11.

AnhEZ28 said:
    @mandawg I see that the Celeron J4125 is listed as a compatible CPU for Windows 11 upgrade: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors. Did you get that unsupported CPU in the PC health check?

What I was talking about was all my i5 5th generation cpu's that did not qualify for the upgrade to Windows 11. And this hap hazzard almost a real one J4125@2.0 ghz did qualify and should have this computer absolutely totally brand new. My slightly older Lenovo's and Hp's with the i5 5th generation cpu's @3.6ghz did not. Oh how ironic it is rofl.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,006 Trailblazer
    Options
    mandawg said:
    AlexSucks said:

AnhEZ28 said:

What I was talking about was all my i5 5th generation cpu's that did not qualify for the upgrade to Windows 11. And this hap hazzard almost a real one J4125@2.0 ghz did qualify and should have this computer absolutely totally brand new. My slightly older Lenovo's and Hp's with the i5 5th generation cpu's @3.6ghz did not. Oh how ironic it is rofl.
    Yep that is how things work with MS, its all a business decision that board rooms make. The Aspire XC-830-UW91 with the Celeron J4125 (released Q4'19) and like all the Wi-11 Celeron cpu's are, as they are all cpu;s that are not as old as your i5 cpu's. One thing is that these Win-11 cpu;s are for a basic/budget systems price and that is what MS is catering for. What you are stating is happening with allot of PC's that worked exceptionally with Win-10 and they are not compatible with Win-11, btw I've got 2x systems like that and its pretty upsetting as they are my favorite pc's. 
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,808 Pathfinder
    Options
    @mandawg likely because TPM is 1.2 at that time (not 100% sure) but I don't really know the reason why Microsoft just supports the 7th gen and above Intel CPU. You can still find a way to upgrade to Windows 11 without letting it checks the CPU and TPM.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • mandawg
    Options
    @AnhEZ28 Yes You can indeed do a force install and not the normal upgrade path to Windows 11 but it is glitch y and will at some point corrupt itself and your right back where you started.
  • mandawg
    Options
    @StevenGen Yes it is sad as can be that systems that were beast running 10 Pro mostly cannot even qualify to naturally upgrade to windows 11 at all except to do a force install of it.