X34 makes LOUD cracking noises when switching to fullscreen screenmodes used by OLD games

Options
CaptainAwesome
CaptainAwesome Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

"Topic says it all", like they say. When trying out older titles like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (free on Steam and on Microsoft Store) and Syndicate Wars (available on GOG), my X34 monitor makes a really loud cracking noise when it switches to the screen mode that the game uses. The noise is so loud it almost feels as if the speakers, and my ears, are going to pop which kind of makes me hesitent even starting these games.

Is this a known issue with the monitor? Are there any work-arounds?

I'm using Windows 10, and the desktop resolution is set to 3440 * 1440 px with the latest version of the GeForce drivers.

Answers

• Jeyam
    Jeyam Member Posts: 348 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi @ CaptainAwesome

It's normal, as the monitor gets hotter, or colder depending on if you are using it or turning it off after usage, the plastic will expand or shrink a little bit, creating cracking/popping noises

Yes, it's the cooling down. This happens mostly with CRT monitors (I've own a lot) and could still happen with LCD monitors (rarely, mostly occurs in cold temperature). Electronic components wouldn't be the source at all. Capacitors don't make a noise when it discharges gradually which is assumed

• CaptainAwesome

Tinkerer

Options
    Jeyam said:

Hi @ CaptainAwesome

It's normal, as the monitor gets hotter, or colder depending on if you are using it or turning it off after usage, the plastic will expand or shrink a little bit, creating cracking/popping noises

Yes, it's the cooling down. This happens mostly with CRT monitors (I've own a lot) and could still happen with LCD monitors (rarely, mostly occurs in cold temperature). Electronic components wouldn't be the source at all. Capacitors don't make a noise when it discharges gradually which is assumed

Thanks for answering, but the ear popping noise is certainly not related to temperature changes within the X34. Again, the cracking sound is only heard (I repeat - only heard) when the X34 changes resolution from the native desktop resolution (say 3440 * 1440) to a lower resolution used by older games (like 800 * 600 in Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and Syndicate Wars, for example).

Any advice on how to remedy this problem is much appreciated. Again, the problem is _not_ temperature related at all. Thank you.
  • CaptainAwesome

Tinkerer

Options
    Jeyam said:

Hi @ CaptainAwesome

Thanks for answering, but the ear popping noise is certainly not related to temperature changes within the X34. Again, the cracking sound is only heard (I repeat - only heard) when the X34 changes resolution from the native desktop resolution (say 3440 * 1440) to a lower resolution used by older games (like 800 * 600 in Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and Syndicate Wars, for example).

Any advice on how to remedy this problem is much appreciated. Again, the problem  _not_ temperature related at all. Thank you.
  • CaptainAwesome

Tinkerer

Options
    Surely I'm not the only X34 owner that experiences cracking noises when changing from the Windows desktop to a lower resolution, 4:3 screenmode in games like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Syndicate Wars?  :|
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,838 Trailblazer
    Options
    Actually it is very possible you are the only one here with that issue... I haven't heard of anyone else with the symptom at least. Have you tried contacting Acer support to see what they say?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.