Spin 311 will not update windows

GlynF
GlynF Member Posts: 6 New User
I have tried every way I know of to update Windows 10 on my Spin 311. I've downloaded the installation media onto a USB; I've used a USB stick to provide extra memory; all to no avail. The paltry amount of spare memory on my 28 gb is just not enough. Can anybody suggest how I can update Windows above version 1909, or even increase the amount of memory available?

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    @Glynf do you get any particular errors when trying to update the Windows? Also, you can try to use disk clean-up, move large files to the USB, and uninstall any application that you rarely use.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    Which Spin 311 model do you have? It should be something like SP311-xxx-xxxx and the number should be on the same sticker as the SNID. There are a very many things that can gum up Windows Update and free space is likely the biggest problem with the models that have small drives. Luckily there are plenty of ways to free up space for the system to use for updates. Try running Disk Cleanup with the Cleanup System Files option checked and have it remove old update files.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GlynF
    To @AnhEZ28 - There are no large files on my Spin, no software other than Windows; all storage is done on a 32gb Mini Sd card, of which 24gb is available.

The Spin is a SP311-31-C3B3; I have run Disc Clean up several times and removed old update files; attached a blank 64gb USB drive as additional Memory for the fresh install, Windows starts to run, but eventually I get a message telling me that it needs additional 5 gb of memory to complete, and the install just stalls.
  • billsey
    edited June 2022
    Hmm, I'm not finding any official info on the SP311 models, just the CP311 Chromebooks. I wonder if Acer has a glitch going on with their model databases... So, how much free space do you have on the drive? It's a 32GB eMMC drive soldered to the motherboard unless I'm mistaken. Try moving the entire profile data (Documents, Downloads, Videos, etc.) to the thumb drive to see if that frees up enough room. With it slimmed down to the best you should be able to have around 10GB free. Also, does your model have a SD card slot? SD cards work better for offline temporary space for Windows Update than USB drives, for some reason. Finally you can try downloading the update files directly to the thumb drive, then running them from there.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GlynF
    To @AnhEZ28 - There are no large files on my Spin, no software other than Windows; all storage is done on a 32gb Mini Sd card, of which 24gb is available.

The Spin is a SP311-31-C3B3; I have run Disc Clean up several times and removed old update files; attached a blank 64gb USB drive as additional Memory for the fresh install, Windows starts to run, but eventually I get a message telling me that it needs additional 5 gb of memory to complete, and the install just stalls.

• GlynF
    There is no software on the c drive of my computer (it is principally used for web searches) the is 7.5 GB of clear space on the C drive
  • billsey
    The 7.5GB is where the issue lies. Microsoft's larger updates require 10GB of free space. I expect the reason I see no info on the SP311 models is that they have never been released on the USA or Canada. I don't have access for stuff that hasn't been released there. But, all the stuff I posted before is stuff valid. You should be able to get the C: drive pared down to allow for 10GB free. What apps do you have installed and can you move any of them off to the SD card?
  • GlynF
    There is no software other than Windows and Google on this drive; no files of any kind - all photos, etc are stored on the micro sd card
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    @GlynF if you do the clean install, you will have to format the whole C drive when you are in the installation to get enough storage.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • billsey
    Have you tried doing a manual install of the problem update with the install downloaded to external storage?
  • GlynF
    Yes - I downloaded the latest windows onto a USB to complete the install, together with a 128gb USB for spare space to complete the install - it still fell over demanding more space on the C drive to complete the installation
  • billsey
    Which update specifically is it that's causing the issue?
  • Jeyam
    Jeyam Member Posts: 348 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Try a full factory reset after backup.