Did Acer pull the XC 1660G - R01-BO bios update?

Nasdaq
Nasdaq Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
Is someone wrong with it? I've already installed it through windows update, but I don't see it listed on the Acer BIOS/Firmware updates anymore. 

And if we've already installed it, where do we go from here?

XC 1660G -  R01-BO bios update

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    Nasdaq said:
    Is someone wrong with it? I've already installed it through windows update, but I don't see it listed on the Acer BIOS/Firmware updates anymore. 

IMO the bios/firmware updates from MS windows update are a very dangerous bios/firmware update to do, this bios update the R01.B0 titled which updates D1 stepping for the cpu was not listed by Acer as your PC does not need it! Note; that you only update the bios/firmware from Acer only for your PC model, as Acer tests and only lists bios updates if they are needed. You are very lucky that it didn't brick your PC as its done so to many consumers past and present. I never ever update these sorts of update from windows update. If the bios works then leave it as is and don't worry about it as its not a critical update and that is why Acer didn't list it. 
  • Nasdaq
    edited June 2022
    StevenGen said:
    Nasdaq said:

IMO the bios/firmware updates from MS windows update are a very dangerous bios/firmware update to do, this bios update the R01.B0 titled which updates D1 stepping for the cpu was not listed by Acer as your PC does not need it! Note; that you only update the bios/firmware from Acer only for your PC model, as Acer tests and only lists bios updates if they are needed. You are very lucky that it didn't brick your PC as its done so to many consumers past and present. I never ever update these sorts of update from windows update. If the bios works then leave it as is and don't worry about it as its not a critical update and that is why Acer didn't list it. 

It was same bios version update, that was once listed on the acer website for my PC. And I was just wondering why it was removed by acer without any note as to why.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
  • Nasdaq
    They also removed R01-A4 which came preinstalled on my PC.

Link to the XC-1660G 
    Drivers and Manuals

Product Support | Acer United States

• Nasdaq
    edited June 2022
    Larryodie said:
    Thanks, the only reason I updated the bios via Windows Update weeks ago, is because it matched the bios update version provided for the XC-1660G at the time by Acer. I basically just want to make sure the next bios update will go smoothly, and really wondering why they removed the bios updates.

Were both initially listed in error, by Acer? Are there bugs? or what? Hopefully someone with some insight @Acer will let me know.
  • wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,217 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    Never seen R01-A4 in this list. I take a look in this list regulary.
  • Nasdaq
    edited June 2022
    wascas said:
    Never seen R01-A4 in this list. I take a look in this list regulary.

What about R01-BO? The previous version preinstalled was indeed R01-A3. My previous question about R01-BO remains the same. 
  • wascas
    You can download R01-B0 from this link.TC-1660 and XC-1660 use the same BIOS.
  • Nasdaq
    edited June 2022
    wascas said:
    Never seen R01-A4 in this list. I take a look in this list regularly.

Thanks, I installed it weeks ago and all seems well. I was just wondering why its no longer listed on the XC-1660G Drivers and Manuals.

And my apologies for getting the pre installed version mixed up, it was not R01-A4 but R01-A3.

Mods can edit my previous R01-A4 post and remove that information because I'm unable to. 
  • wascas
    Don't know why Acer has it deleted from the list.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    And we won't hear anything from Acer officially as to why they have been removed. Likely someone glitched while updating the database and they'll fix it by putting them back up sometime.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Nasdaq
    edited June 2022
    Update: R01-B0 added back to the list.