a question Aspire 5 should i upgrade graphics card

pleasehelpanswer
pleasehelpanswer Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hello I have an Acer Aspire 5 slim laptop but I want to play games but the graphics card is too weak any suggestions on what graphics card I should upgrade to?

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,781 Trailblazer
    Sorry, A5 laptop GPU chips are soldered to the mainboard. They cannot be changed like desktops.

Jack E/NJ

• pleasehelpanswer
    are you sure that I cannot upgrade it to anything better

• JackE
    Yes. However it might be possible to upgrade the entire mainboard depending on your A5's full model number. Or if you're willing to sacrifice laptop portability & wifi,  it might also be possible to use an external GPU. Both options can be quite costly, time-consuming to implement and risk collateral damage.

It might be better and cheaper to consider a gaming laptop with much better discrete GPUs like the nitro or predator series.  Maybe try to sell your A5 as-is to help defray costs.

Jack E/NJ

• pleasehelpanswer
    so you're just telling me to get a better laptop or a pc
  • JackE
    The A5 series are super-fine general-purpose laptops for personal, business, video-editing and light gaming. But not specifically considered a heavy gaming laptop like the predator and nitro series. And even the gaming laptops are not as good for gaming as the gaming desktop series. There are trade-offs in price, performance and portability if you mainly want a general purpose PC or mainly a gaming PC. It is usually impractical to try to make a general purpose PC into a gaming PC or vice versa. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    edited June 2022
    are you sure that I cannot upgrade it to anything better

Hey "pleasehelpanswer" are you serious? As YES you can probably upgrade a laptops gpu but and just to explain to you of what is involved;

1. You need a gou chip from an Aspire 5 that has a better gpu chip and is the exact model as your Aspire 5, that you can take its gpu out from which you need to buy, which will cost you lets say $200 plus?

2. Then you need to add the cost of a technician with the proper tools to take this gpu out and reball it with a special reballing template (that costs also) as there are hundreds of pins that need to be prepared for the resoldering of this new gpu.

3. Or you need to be able to buy a new reballed gpu, if they are available? Which can cost even more.

4. Then as I said above, you need a technician that will and can do this job and has the right tools? Who all up will charge anything?

All in all a gpu upgrade is not financially worth it as this sorts of upgrades could cost you twice as much than what the Aspire 5 is worth (as the Aspire 5 is not a top gaming laptop) but and if you want to spend that sort of money, then go for it. As what JackE has suggested is the way to go for an upgrade, if you can get the better gpu mobo for the Aspire 5 model that you have as all in all and if you do an upgrade, you won't get much better performance from your Aspire 5 and its better to spend that money on a new and better laptop?  Also you haven’t given us the exact model number of your Aspire 5 which would be helpful :D