S231HL monitor going dark in upper right corner and on right side midway down. Why?

Options
jeffshalomngsus
jeffshalomngsus Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Is this monitor repairable, or should I trash it?  Thank you!

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    All your RGB screens show the same shadowing. This suggests air & moisture are probably seeping into the liquid crystal layer at the upper right corner edge of screen between the glass plates. This layer changes the intensity of the LED backlight that shines through red, green and blue pixels.  Edge leaks are well known failure mechanisms for large screen LCDs. It was quite common about a decade or so ago when large screen CRTs were being replaced with even larger screen LCDs.

I would also guess your screen is probably also showing a lot of variation of LED backlight leakage. To show this, press WIN+R. Enter 'cmd'. The black command prompt screen should appear. Maximize the black command prompt screen. You will probably see the LED backlight variations in a darkened room.

Sorry. Not much you can do about this. The shadowing will probably progress, expand and darken as more and more air & moisture seep in. You can try to run this youtube test in full screen mode for a while to see if it might have any affect on the liquid crystal shadowing. Warning though. The test also has potential for hastening the seepage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDchNc3pZdA

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Please post a phone photo of the screen if possible showing the problem.

Jack E/NJ

• jeffshalomngsus

Tinkerer

Options
    Here are two pictures.
  • JackE
    Options
    Looks like screen was physically deformed or otherwise had a lot of pressure or force applied to that area. Google search solid color jpg. Download a light blue and a red jpg or png file. Then open them full screen in Paint. Post full screen phone photos of each again.

Jack E/NJ

• jeffshalomngsus

Tinkerer

Options
    The monitor is 9 years old, has not any pressure applied anywhere to it, and just started doing this 2 weeks ago...
  • jeffshalomngsus

Tinkerer

Options
    Blue and Red
  • JackE
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Sorry, that's not what I  need you to do. Please open the JPG images on your computer in MSPaint or similar imaging application  so that they appear on the monitor's screen. Then post a phone photo of the screen. Please open a light blue jpg, not dark blue jpg. A light red jpg and a light green jpg would be helpful. MSPaint and other imaging apps should be able project the entire solid color in full screen mode.

For example, a light blue jpg phone photo of your screen in full screen MSPaint mode might look like the following photo.

Jack E/NJ

• jeffshalomngsus

Tinkerer

Options
    Not used to this type of thing, so I hope this helps.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    All your RGB screens show the same shadowing. This suggests air & moisture are probably seeping into the liquid crystal layer at the upper right corner edge of screen between the glass plates. This layer changes the intensity of the LED backlight that shines through red, green and blue pixels.  Edge leaks are well known failure mechanisms for large screen LCDs. It was quite common about a decade or so ago when large screen CRTs were being replaced with even larger screen LCDs.

I would also guess your screen is probably also showing a lot of variation of LED backlight leakage. To show this, press WIN+R. Enter 'cmd'. The black command prompt screen should appear. Maximize the black command prompt screen. You will probably see the LED backlight variations in a darkened room.

Sorry. Not much you can do about this. The shadowing will probably progress, expand and darken as more and more air & moisture seep in. You can try to run this youtube test in full screen mode for a while to see if it might have any affect on the liquid crystal shadowing. Warning though. The test also has potential for hastening the seepage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDchNc3pZdA

Jack E/NJ

• jeffshalomngsus

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm curious, because I can cut the unit off for 20 seconds, then turn it back on, and it's fine for a while...Eventually, however, it does come back...is that normal?  I guess 9 years isn't bad for a monitor, just not a good time to have to purchase a new one, financially speaking...
  • JackE
    Options
    Normal for what? A screen failing? It could be. Also could be normal for a GPU that's failing. You can test the GPU by connecting it to another monitor like a TV set. Or connecting the  S23 to another GPU. See if the shadow is still there.

Jack E/NJ