Can’t reset an Acer Aspire Switch 10 E SW3-013

JoeGon
JoeGon Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited June 2022 in Switch Series
I’m trying to reset an Acer Aspire Switch 10 E SW3-013 to Factory settings.

Windows 10. I do not know if it started life with Windows 10.
NTMX1********************

A little background.
I have been presented with an Acer Aspire Switch 10 E SW3-013.
It was a gift to my cousin.
She thought is was new but of course, it’s seven years old.
It is giving a lot of problems.
Could not log in.
While fiddling around trying to reset the Login Password, it crashed.
Nothing! Could not turn on.
I opened it up and found the power button (and the others) have rotted away.
I mean, the plastic has become soft and the buttons have broken up.
Well, I improvised and got the Power button working.
It now turns on.
But, it seems that after trying to reset the password, when it crashed, we are now facing a situation where the old password does not work and I do not know what it is looking for.

F2 takes me to the “SetupUtility”.
I can’t get into the BIOS.

I have tried every possible solution found on the Internet.
I can get to a point where it seems that I am on the right road and then it asks for “Recovery Key”.
What the heck is that?
I would like to just reset the PC to factory settings and start over.
I have tried to make a Bootable flash drive to perhaps get into the system but I have not been able to get it to boot off the flash drive.
The flash drive does not show up in the Start Menu. F12
I tried to make a Linux Live boot but it is not working.
I don’t know what the Boot settings for this beast are set for.
I don’t know what to do with RUFUS to make the flash drive bootable.
I am at the point where I would be happy if I could just reinstall Windows and be done with it.
Trouble is, I can’t do a thing with it.
HELP!!

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you don't want to use Windows To Go, it has special stuff in it to allow it to run a full Windows off the USB. You have no need for that, you want to install Windows on the machine instead. The prior setup should have allowed that. Remember when you get to the screen asking where to install (you should see three or four partitions listed) manually remove each partition and then when the full disk is shown as unallocated, install to the unallocated portion. The installer will do the rest for you.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,761 Pathfinder
    @JoeGon can you provide the screenshot when you press F2 after powering on?

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • JoeGon
    Best I can do. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    >>>F2 takes me to the “SetupUtility”.>>>I can’t get into the BIOS.>>>

Your phone photos suggest that you are indeed into the BIOS menu, aka the BIO Setup Utility, :) Try disabling secure boot. F10 to save and exit.

If you want to try a factory reset, start with the machine off. Then press and hold the ALT + F10 keys. Then while still holding the keys, turn the machine back on. See if a recovery screen appears.

If you want to try a boot stick again, start with the machine off. Insert the stick. Then press and hold the F12 key. Then while still holding the F12 , turn the machine back on. See if the stick appears. If not, you may have to use an earlier Rufus version for the right USB partition format scheme.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    Note that your best bet is likely to just to a fresh install of 32bit Windows 10 Home, wiping all partitions at the screen where you choose where to install. When you select the unallocated space it will create all needed partitions and leave you with the maximum size for your C: drive. Don't even bother to try and install 64bit Windows.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JoeGon

Thanks for the replies. 
    I have work to do. 
    JackE
    I can get into the Setup with F2
    I can get into the Boot Menu with F12 but the Flash drive did not show up. 
    I can get into the recovery Menu. Alt + F10
    It then asks for a “Recovery Key” and I have no idea where or what that is. 

I will try a new flash drive setup.
    I will try to disable secure boot and try again. 
    The right partition format did give me a dilemma. 
    Even if the boot fails, it would be a big improvement if I could see the Flash drive (stick) in the Boot Menu. 

billsey
    Thanks for the heads up on the 32 bit. 
    I would like to do a fresh install but I can't boot with the Windows Install on a flash drive. 
    I will try to reconfigure the Windows Install flash drive. 
    Perhaps if I can disable secure boot, as JackE mentioned, the Flash drive will show up in the Boot Menu. F12.
    Some work to do. 
    Joe

• JackE
    >>>I can get into the recovery Menu. Alt + F10>>>It then asks for a “Recovery Key” and I have no idea where or what that is. >>>

Did you try disabling secure boot in the BIOS menu Boot tab? Then F10 to save and exit. Try ALT+F10 again.

Jack E/NJ

• JoeGon
    JackE said:
    >>>I can get into the recovery Menu. Alt + F10>>>It then asks for a “Recovery Key” and I have no idea where or what that is. >>>

Did you try disabling secure boot in the BIOS menu Boot tab? Then F10 to save and exit. Try ALT+F10 again.
    Thanks. 
    I'm working on that. 
    It seems that before I can disable secure boot, I need to set the supervisor password. 
    I'm going to do that today. 

• JackE
    Yep. Good luck.

Jack E/NJ

• JoeGon
    Well, I've made some progress. 
    I decided to try to leave the setup as is and try a different approach. 
    Google is a real friend. 
    I made an install USB with Rufus and instead did this. 
    Win 10 n32 bit. 
    I set the partition scheme to GPT and UEFI (non CSM)
    File system to NTFS.
    I tried it and (F12) the drive showed up and I was able to boot and enter the setup process. 
    I am now working on a Windows to go with the same GPT setup and I'm looking for drivers. 
    I'll let you know. 
    Joe

• JackE
    Good work. Thanks for the progress report. :)

Jack E/NJ

• JoeGon
    Well, I did a Windows to go with Rufus. 
    GPT and UEFI (non CSM)
    File system to NTFS.
    It booted and I went through the setup Mumbo Jumbo. 
    However, I cannot access the drive on the PC.
    It is asking for a 48 digit access code.
    More Mumbo Jumbo. 
    Not much better off but I now know for sure the laptop is OK and I will just have to do a clean install. 
    Can I assume that the Microsoft key is stored in the BIOS and I will not have a problem with registering. 
    Thanks
    Joe
  • JackE
    Yes, the Windows product key is embedded on the mainboard and should be picked up automatically. It might also be printed on a UPC label on the bottom of the laptop or  the box it originally came in.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you don't want to use Windows To Go, it has special stuff in it to allow it to run a full Windows off the USB. You have no need for that, you want to install Windows on the machine instead. The prior setup should have allowed that. Remember when you get to the screen asking where to install (you should see three or four partitions listed) manually remove each partition and then when the full disk is shown as unallocated, install to the unallocated portion. The installer will do the rest for you.
  • JoeGon
    billsey said:
    I'm sorry I did not explain the reason for Windows to go. 
    My hope was to access the original drive on the Laptop to search for any files I wanted to save. 
    It did not work. 
    I don't know if a Linux live would allow me to do what I want. 
    I will try. 
    It also gave me a chance to go through the setup and installation of drivers. 
    It needed a few drivers. 
    I still don't know if I got the drivers all done as there is no way of knowing which driver is needed and which downloaded driver to then install. 

Thanks for the installation guide. 
    I will be installing a fresh Windows soon. 
  • billsey
    You can access any files that are readable via the normal install boot. Just use the Repair mode, then navigate to the command prompt. You can then plug a flash drive into another USB port and manually copy off what you need. Once you have the data copied off then start the install process again and follow through with the steps to get a clean install completed.
  • JoeGon
    OMG
    It's been about 40 years since I last used DOS commands to copy files. 
    I'll need to go back to the books for copy and xcpoy. 
  • billsey
    Heheh, they aren't too tough... It's usually more of a hassle to actually find the files (hint, check the C:\Users\<username> folders).
  • JoeGon

First I want to thank you for your input.

I disabled secure boot. 
    That did not help. 
    It will not boot. 
    It's worse. 
    I tried to access the drive using Advanced Troubleshooting. 
    Again I get asked for the 48 digit recovery key to reset BitLocker. 

I also tried to access the drive with diskpart and DOS in Command Prompt. 
    I get a message the drive is locked. 
    I cannot select the drive. 
    I have now exhausted all options. 
    I will just install a fresh Windows 10. 
    The USB Port on the Keyboard does not work consistently for a Boot so I need an adaptor for the Micro USB on the Tab. 
    It does not get easier on this piece of ?. 
    I forget what they call it. 
  • JoeGon
    Thanks. 
    I have looked at this and many more solutions. 
    e.g. 

Retrieve BitLocker Recovery Key 

In command prompt:  manage-bde -protectors C: -get
    That did not work. 

The Laptop was a gift to my cousin and it seems it was reset at least once before and what account was used to setup etc is not known. 
    It's just too long a story. 
    I'll be getting an adaptor for the USB (micro) and installing Win. 10. 
    Thanks again for all the help. 
    joe