Acer Nitro XZ320QX Over Drive is not working at 240 Hz

Options
b1ackbeat
b1ackbeat Member Posts: 9 New User
Hi!

I have a question about Acer Nitro XZ320QXbmiiphx. It is Full HD 240 Hz 32 inch gaming monitor. When refresh rate of the screen is 240 Hz, it is seems Over Drive function is not taking effect, even when Over Drive function is set to Extreme. Compared with lower refresh rate with Over Drive option, 240 Hz picture is looking more blured, and it is no matter which Over Drive setting is set. I can see that clearly at UFO test. When refresh rate is lower than 240 Hz, for example, 165 Hz, I can see Over Drive effect clearly. When refrash rate is 240 Hz, Over Drive looks like always disabled, whatever option is selected. There is no information about Over Drive refresh rate restrictions in product documentation.

Could somebody help to confirm, is it bug of feature?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Options
    You may have to edit the display BIOS for it to take effect. Have you tried to configure it with the AcerDisplayWidget yet? There are other freeware EDID tools but try the widget first.

Jack E/NJ

• b1ackbeat
    Options
    JackE said:
    You may have to edit the display BIOS for it to take effect. Have you tried to configure it with the AcerDisplayWidget yet? There are other freeware EDID tools but try the widget first.
    Hello! I have no idea how to edit display BIOS :# Also I tried to use Acer Display Widget, this is the same as using built-in monitor menu, just change the setting with same results.
  • JackE
    Options
    Other users have reported the OEM OSD or software settings often only prepares for overclocking but doesn't actually implement without further tweaking by an EDID editor. Why the extra hoop to jump through? I suspect that it's 'deterrent' feature to help avoid reliability issues caused by routinely driving hardware beyond their normal operating ranges for prolonged periods. One of the more popular EDID editors seems to be the CustomResolutionUtility.

Jack E/NJ

• b1ackbeat
    Options
    JackE said:
    Other users have reported the OEM OSD or software settings often only prepares for overclocking but doesn't actually implement without further tweaking by an EDID editor. Why the extra hoop to jump through? I suspect that it's 'deterrent' feature to help avoid reliability issues caused by routinely driving hardware beyond their normal operating ranges for prolonged periods. One of the more popular EDID editors seems to be the CustomResolutionUtility.

Dear, are we talking about one and same feature?
    I checked CRU page and installed the programm, but I dont want to overclock sreen refrash rate, 240 Hz is enough for me, and I can select it without changing EDID properties. But I want the Over Drive function is working with 240 Hz because now it is not working with 240 Hz. Over Drive function is serving to reduce response time of the monitor, that is to reduce bloor and ghosting for fast moving objects on the screen.
    I have tested it with this tool https://www.testufo.com/ghosting - when refrash rate is 240 Hz, Over Drive looks like always disabled, whatever option is selected, and I see ghosting clearly. Also I have tested it with lower refrash rate (165 Hz), and when Over Drive was disabled, the result was same as above, but when I enabled Normal setting, I saw that ghosting became much less, and then I enabled Extreme setting, I saw some overdrive artefacts (black trails), which means Over Drive is fully working with 165 Hz.

• b1ackbeat
    Options
    This is image compartion:

240 Hz, Over Drive is Extreme:

165 Hz, Over Drive is Extreme:

• JackE
    Options
    Is extreme option available with overdrive when you click on the right arrow?

Jack E/NJ

• b1ackbeat
    Options
    JackE said:
    Is extreme option available with overdrive when you click on the right arrow?

Yes, there are Off, Normal and Extreme options available. But when 240 Hz is enabled, Normal and Extreme options do not take effect (you can see ghosting at first UFO picture).
  • JackE
    Options
    Do you have freesync model?

Jack E/NJ

• b1ackbeat
    Options
    JackE said:
    Do you have freesync model?

Yes, my monitor supports is, but I am not using Freesync since my GTX 970 video adapter does not support it. Also I cannot see information about Over Drive restrictions related to refresh rate from your statement above. I confirm Over Drive is working with Normal and Extreme setting at 165 Hz.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I confirm Over Drive is working with Normal and Extreme setting at 165 Hz.>>>

What resolution are you trying to use?

Jack E/NJ

• b1ackbeat
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>I confirm Over Drive is working with Normal and Extreme setting at 165 Hz.>>>

What resolution are you trying to use?
    I tried 1080p and 720p resolution, there is no any difference.
  • JackE
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I expected this result. But just wanted to further confirm that you indeed had the sync model.

As you said earlier, OD may well be working at 165Hz. BUT to reach 240Hz, OD must be in extreme mode as apparently available in non-sync models, not fixed in normal mode as the specifications below suggests for sync models . .

Fixed in normal mode means it's locked. So it's not adjustable to extreme even if you try to set it to extreme.  Furthermore, there seems be fine print associated with the sync model regarding 240Hz capability..

(1) DisplayPort™ 1.2/HDMI 1.4 input/output and similarly certified cables required in order to reach 240Hz rates.
    (2) Rates may vary depending on model and/or region, computer specifications/hardware and/or set up.
    (3) Specifications may vary depending on model and/or region. All models subject to availability.

After further review, I suspect that 240Hz rate in your sync model is only accessible by trying to over-ride the normal mode lock, aka over-clocking. Since your sync model doesn't seem to meet your 240Hz expectations implied in the product descriptions, I suggest that you immediately return the monitor to the vendor as not meeting your needs for a refund or exchange. Do this before the vendor's return merchandise authorization (RMA) period ends. Usually only a few weeks. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

• b1ackbeat
    Options
    JackE said:
    I expected this result. But just wanted to further confirm that you indeed had the sync model.

As you said earlier, OD may well be working at 165Hz. BUT to reach 240Hz, OD must be in extreme mode as apparently available in non-sync models, not fixed in normal mode as the specifications below suggests for sync models . .

Fixed in normal mode means it's locked. So it's not adjustable to extreme even if you try to set it to extreme.  Furthermore, there seems be fine print associated with the sync model regarding 240Hz capability..

(1) DisplayPort™ 1.2/HDMI 1.4 input/output and similarly certified cables required in order to reach 240Hz rates.
    (2) Rates may vary depending on model and/or region, computer specifications/hardware and/or set up.
    (3) Specifications may vary depending on model and/or region. All models subject to availability.

After further review, I suspect that 240Hz rate in your sync model is only accessible by trying to over-ride the normal mode lock, aka over-clocking. Since your sync model doesn't seem to meet your 240Hz expectations implied in the product descriptions, I suggest that you immediately return the monitor to the vendor as not meeting your needs for a refund or exchange. Do this before the vendor's return merchandise authorization (RMA) period ends. Usually only a few weeks. Sorry.

This is a very weird policy. I don't want to return the product, I want the product to meet the specifications. I have read the product specifications and the User Guide carefully before buy, and found no information about Over Drive function refresh rate limits. Yes, I found when Adaptive Sync is used, Over Drive is fixed at Normal mode, I can accept this. But as I said before, neither Normal nor Extreme Over Drive option work at 240 Hz, both options can be selected, but there is no any effect. I repeat again to be clear, Over Drive Normal mode is not working at 240 Hz. Also I am not using Adaptive Sync technology, but even if I use it, Over Drive Normal mode should be working whatever refresh rate is selected according your specification table above and the product documentation. Please be noted I am using DisplayPort™ 1.2 connection and 1.2 certified cable, so 1080p/240 Hz mode is available and can be selected.
    Also I performed some research with CRU tool and found that upper refresh rate limit for Over Drive is 200 Hz. So when refresh rate is set to 201 Hz or higher, the Over Drive is not working at all, looks like the monitor ignores Over Drive selection and forcebly turns it off.
    I consider this problem as some kind of hardware or software bug, or maybe as misrepresentation of the product specifications. I hope Acer engineers will take a look at this problem, and release some firmware patch to fix this issue.

Hope for your understanding, thank you.
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry. You are posting this to an ACER users forum. We are neither ACER employees, customer service reps, marketing policymakers,  or software/hardware developers or engineers. We are mainly Acer users just like you trying to help other users and have no influence over your hopes.

I'm gonna make some wild guesses that the Predator non-sync models & Nitro sync models are virtually the same hardware platform that share much of the same user controls and advertising hype. However, only the Predator firmware is NOT fixed at or locked into normal in game mode. Essentially, the premium for the Predator is for the firmware, not the hardware. Accordingly, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any official patch that'll make your Nitro perform like a Predator even though its hardware might be capable of doing so.

While you may not want to return the product, it's the only practical suggestion I can make in your situation. Sorry again.

Jack E/NJ

• b1ackbeat
    edited June 2022
    Options
    JackE said:
    Sorry. You are posting this to an ACER users forum. We are neither ACER employees, customer service reps, marketing policymakers,  or software/hardware developers or engineers. We are mainly Acer users just like you trying to help other users and have no influence over your hopes.

I'm gonna make some wild guesses that the Predator non-sync models & Nitro sync models are virtually the same hardware platform that share much of the same user controls and advertising hype. However, only the Predator firmware is NOT fixed at or locked into normal in game mode. Essentially, the premium for the Predator is for the firmware, not the hardware. Accordingly, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any official patch that'll make your Nitro perform like a Predator even though its hardware might be capable of doing so.

While you may not want to return the product, it's the only practical suggestion I can make in your situation. Sorry again.
    Okay, dear, think I got your point, thank you for support.

May I ask one more question regarding XZ320QX? Does is support HDR? From official page, I see HDR10 format is supported, also now I have new RTX 3060 video adapter which is also supporting HDR and DP 1.4. But in Windows 11 setting and HDR-supported games (tested in Resident Evil 7 and Cyberpunk 2077) HDR option is not available, though I am using Display Port cable. Also in monitor OSD I see only DP 1.1 and DP 1.2 options for Display Port version, there is no 1.4 option available. But as I know HDR support was introduced in DP version 1.4.

Should I use special Display Port cable? My cable is 
    certified as 1.2 version, length is about 1.5 meter. From Wikipedia DP description, there is no physical difference between DP cables, the difference is only related to certified throughput, so I am confused.

Here is monitor specs:

And video adapter specs:

• JackE
    Options
    Sorry, HDR is another function that seems to be supported by the hardware but may not implemented in the official user controls for a particular predator or nitro model. To give you an idea of how the specs are vaguely worded for functions like HDR, here's the quote used throughout the Acer Customized functions list.

"If this monitor doesn’t support target function, we don't need to implement this parameter of VCP code" .

My interpretation/translation. The target function, HDR, is specified by ACER to etiher work or not work in the user's control panel interface. 

I suspect that all the functions that work in the top of the line model, can be made to work just as well in your model since the hardware is virtually identical. However, the official code to do this doesn't seem to be available or documented anywhere on the web.

Jack E/NJ