Blank screen with dedicated graphics card in an Aspire TC-895-UA92

meolsei
meolsei Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi, about a year ago I decided to add in a Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 card into this system. I know it is old, but I needed something to replace the integrated graphics that would work. In addition, I was low on money anyway, so I had to cheap out. Anyway, the video output is an issue, I'll explain here:

Essentially, the video card has no output when used before the system is loaded into the operating system. I cannot load into the BIOS settings, there is no output on the BIOS screen, no output in Windows' diagnostics screen. The driver only works when the driver is communicating with it, otherwise, nothing will be shown on the screen. In addition, the output will flash whenever I have a video resize, or something?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Yes, when the GPU is plugged in the onboard video is all disabled. Likely the card is old enough that it doesn't fully support a UEFI boot, so the drivers aren't loaded form the BIOS. That means the card doesn't get fully initialized until the OS does it...IIRC you need at least a 7xx series for full UEFI support.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,432 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Have you removed the add on card and see if the onboard video still works.
    It is my understanding that when you plug in the new card that the original is disabled by hardware, nothing in the bios to change. 
    I'm wondering if you can do an ALT -F10 on boot to go into safe mode and possibly take a look see if possible. 
    I'm confused as when you actually see the screen ?

• meolsei
    meolsei Member Posts: 2 New User
    Larryodie said:
    Have you removed the add on card and see if the onboard video still works.
    It is my understanding that when you plug in the new card that the original is disabled by hardware, nothing in the bios to change. 
    I'm wondering if you can do an ALT -F10 on boot to go into safe mode and possibly take a look see if possible. 
    I'm confused as when you actually see the screen ?

Only when Windows is actually booted, the card outputs. Everywhere else is blank. The only way I can access the BIOS screen without having to guess where I am is without the card added. The onboard is perfectly fine. Whenever the card is plugged in, all are disabled It presume?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Yes, when the GPU is plugged in the onboard video is all disabled. Likely the card is old enough that it doesn't fully support a UEFI boot, so the drivers aren't loaded form the BIOS. That means the card doesn't get fully initialized until the OS does it...IIRC you need at least a 7xx series for full UEFI support.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.