My Predator G3-710 desktop's PSU needs replacing, which PSU should I get? It has to be 24 pin right?

Options
TotalNoob
TotalNoob Member Posts: 3 New User
I am a complete noob when it comes to upgrading or swapping parts in computers, I would appreciate any help I can get.

So my current PSU is Liteon model ps-7501-5. I could buy an identical one, but it seems a bit overpriced, and also the PSU has never worked quite right (the fan would randomly make a lot of noise). So I'd like to try another model of PSU. But I have no idea which model would be compatible.

It seems the motherboard needs something called a 24 pin? On another thread, I read that someone suggested this PSU: https://www.segotep.us/products/cp-psu-st-p650f

But the website for it says it has a 28 pin output. That's not compatible with my computer, right? If not, can anybody suggest a PSU that is compatible?

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Your system uses a standard ATX power supply with the typical 24 pin connector, plus another 4 pin auxiliary power. Typically an ATX supply has the fan on the same side as the place the power cable mounts. The one you link has the fan on the bottom instead. That isn't an issue since the airflow through the supply is the same but does allow them to put a larger fan in, allowing the same air volume with less noise. So, it should work fine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TotalNoob
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I wound up getting this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274927617372

I installed it today and it's working like a charm! It's modular, which means I only needed to plug in the cables I need and no more. The cables came with little velcro ties that were helpful for tidying up. I couldn't quite get the bottom screws to line up right between the PSU and the Acer case, and I just sort of halfheartedly screwed them in a bit. But it shouldn't be a big deal, since the Acer case has a little shelf to support the PSU.

Answers

• TotalNoob
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Upon further research, it turns out that the output is 28 pin, but the other end is 24 pin. >_< So I'm guessing it's compatible?

I'm seeing that Segotep PSU for sale here, can anyone tell me if it'll be compatible with my Acer Predator G3-710?

Also, I would greatly appreciate any tips on how I can install the new PSU, keeping in mind that I am, as the name says, a total noob at this. Thank you!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Your system uses a standard ATX power supply with the typical 24 pin connector, plus another 4 pin auxiliary power. Typically an ATX supply has the fan on the same side as the place the power cable mounts. The one you link has the fan on the bottom instead. That isn't an issue since the airflow through the supply is the same but does allow them to put a larger fan in, allowing the same air volume with less noise. So, it should work fine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TotalNoob
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I wound up getting this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274927617372

I installed it today and it's working like a charm! It's modular, which means I only needed to plug in the cables I need and no more. The cables came with little velcro ties that were helpful for tidying up. I couldn't quite get the bottom screws to line up right between the PSU and the Acer case, and I just sort of halfheartedly screwed them in a bit. But it shouldn't be a big deal, since the Acer case has a little shelf to support the PSU.