Laptop ram limited to 2933 mhz Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH315-54-55A4)?

SaturdayMash
SaturdayMash Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited May 2022 in Predator Laptops
I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH315-54-55A4), with an i5-11400h CPU
Why is my ram limited to 2933 mhz when I have 2x8 3200mhz? I checked on CPU-Z and confirmed that they are both indeed 3200mhz modules but when I checked on task manager it says that they're running on 2933mhz speed. Of course I'm not an expert in any of this and have no idea if I'm looking into this correctly which is why I had my questions since I know I can't solve this on my own. 

Attached are some of the pictures I have taken from CPU-Z and task manager.

{ edited the title from content to change the model number }

Best Answer

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,231 Pathfinder
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    @SaturdayMash maybe that's why. You can ask that shop to see if they can replace another RAM stick to get the full 3200MHz. I'm afraid that different CAS latency can have a rare frequency of blue screen of death.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,837 Trailblazer
    Your mainboard's maximum buss speed between the RAM module and CPU is 1466MHz or 2933 for double data rate (DDR) RAM. Accordingly, the 3200MHz DDR RAM module will automatically downshift to 2933MHz  to match the maximum RAM buss speed that the mainboard allows.

Jack E/NJ

• AnhEZ28
    @SaturdayMash do you still get 3200MHz when you only have 1 RAM stick?
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • JackE
    Your mainboard's maximum buss speed between the RAM module and CPU is 1466MHz or 2933 for double data rate (DDR) RAM. Accordingly, the 3200MHz DDR RAM module will automatically downshift to 2933MHz  to match the maximum RAM buss speed that the mainboard allows.

Jack E/NJ

• Aabeissue
    Aabeissue Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Hello @SaturdayMash, I also have the PH315-54 laptop and it show 3200MHz. I think you need to check each RAM stick to see what is causing the lower RAM speed.
  • SaturdayMash

Tinkerer

AnhEZ28 said:
    @SaturdayMash do you still get 3200MHz when you only have 1 RAM stick?
    Unfortunately I bought mine with 2x8 sticks already and have not tried opening the laptop itself
  • SaturdayMash

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Is there any way I could maybe utilize the 3200mhz ram speed?
  • AnhEZ28
    @SaturdayMash did you buy the laptop as used or as new?
  • SaturdayMash

Tinkerer

AnhEZ28 said:
    @SaturdayMash did you buy the laptop as used or as new?
    It's brand new. Bought not over a month ago
  • SaturdayMash

Tinkerer

Aabeissue said:
    Hello @SaturdayMash, I also have the PH315-54 laptop and it show 3200MHz. I think you need to check each RAM stick to see what is causing the lower RAM speed.
    Do you have matching ram sticks?
  • AnhEZ28
    @SaturdayMash sealed box? I could be wrong but never seen a laptop with two different RAM brands, CAS latency, and manufacture date.
  • JackE
    >>> I have 2x8 3200mhz?>>>
    >>>Unfortunately I bought mine with 2x8 sticks already and have not tried opening the laptop itself>>>
    >>>Do you have matching ram sticks?>>>

So does this mean you're really not sure what modules you have installed? If module frequencies are mixed, then it could also affect benchmark results.

Jack E/NJ

• SaturdayMash

Tinkerer

AnhEZ28 said:
    @SaturdayMash sealed box? I could be wrong but never seen a laptop with two different RAM brands, CAS latency, and manufacture date.
    Bought it from a reputable shop online. Box wasn't sealed when it arrived. I'm assuming they had to add another ram stick manually since their laptops are only available with single sticks. I ordered one that had 16gb ram but requested it to be dual channel so it might be that they didn't bother matching the sticks. 
    Also if I may ask, how big of a difference in performance is a 2933 from a 3200? assuming they have the same cas latency.

• SaturdayMash

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>Do you have matching ram sticks?>>>

From what I could see on CPU-Z they're both ddr4-3200 so I assumed they're the same frequency but not the same cas latency.
  • AnhEZ28
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    @SaturdayMash maybe that's why. You can ask that shop to see if they can replace another RAM stick to get the full 3200MHz. I'm afraid that different CAS latency can have a rare frequency of blue screen of death.
  • SaturdayMash

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28
    Alright, thanks for your time and for the heads up! Will definitely keep that in mind if I ever encounter a blue screen of death. Anyways, it looks like I'm gonna have to buy my own 2x8 sodimm ram since they're not that expensive.
  • AnhEZ28
    @SaturdayMash you're welcome! Just hopes that you don't get the BSOD.
    Make sure that you look for the kit that is non-XMP.
  • SaturdayMash

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28
    Alright, I will do my own research regarding those.